• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

AVOID River City Sheaths/Mike Sastre

I sent Mike Sastre owner and sole worker at River City Sheaths my Cold Steel Push Knife and $77. After waiting SIX MONTHS he sent me my knife and the horizontal sheath I ordered. I was too eager to want the sheath to work. I found that from normal activity, just sitting, standing and walking the knife often falls out.

$77 WASTED

I need a horizontal belt sheath for a Cold Steel Push Knife. I probably want a thump break or some other quick but secure device.

Beware River City Sheaths/Mike Sastre after waiting 6 MONTHS I finally received my knife and sheath. I had been told by Mike it would take him 1-2 months. The worst part is that the sheath doesn’t work. The knife often falls out. Wasted $77!

Your problem was the opposite of mine in detail but the same in kind. The sheath I received was so tight that for me there was absolutely no way to draw anything like reliably without the sheath staying bound to the knife. But the entire purpose of that sheath is to be able to draw quickly with one hand, while concealing.

He promised a fast fix back 8 months ago but instead, to date, has just kept my knife and gone silent (as in the other thread Ajack60 linked.)

Thank goodness you didn't send it back for the claimed quick adjustment. I kick myself for having done so. Not that I shouldn't reasonably have expected a man to honor his word. But some do, some don't.

Mike, if you read this: Refund this man's money! And send my knife back. It will be much appreciated by us both if you do the right thing there.

Last edited:
Thought I would let you know I actually, out of nowhere, received a tracking number from Michael Sastre today.

Not a word about what happened, but a tracking number.

I would have added this to the other thread, but it has been closed. I will update when actually receiving the package, as a tracking number by itself doesn't prove contents. But it seems unlikely it would be anything but the knife and, presumably, sheath.

It is really a shame that if in the end the effort is taken to ship the knife out, it was done so late as to result in all these problems for both parties. As I wrote Michael in my reply, something must have gone wrong as otherwise none of this makes sense, and what it is, is not my business.

As you are not awaiting a shipment it may not be relevant to your problem. I wish your case had turned out better.

Thought I would let you know I actually, out of nowhere, received a tracking number from Michael Sastre today.

I would have added this to the other thread, but it has been closed. I will update when actually receiving the package, as a tracking number by itself doesn't prove contents. But it seems unlikely it would be anything but the knife and, presumably, sheath.

It is really a shame that if in the end the effort is taken to ship the knife out, it was done so late as to result in all these problems for both parties. As I wrote Michael in my reply, something must have gone wrong as otherwise none of this makes sense, and what it is, is not my business.

As you are not awaiting a shipment it may not be relevant to your problem. I wish your case had turned out better.

As the creator of the other thread, I believe you can still reopen it and comment. May want to wait and see what, if anything, you receive first, but if you do get something, I think it would warrant posting an update in the other thread, and I think the mods would be OK with it.

Thank you! I didn't know that.

I agree completely that the best is to wait for the actual arrival before doing anything on the other thread. It makes little sense that the package would be anything but what it should, but best to be sure before posting.

While the board tells me I don't have the privileges to add a new post to the end, I do have the option of editing the original post. And will do so shortly according to what the package is.

If the mods, at that time, would reopen so I can add it at the end that would be fine too, most certainly -- I am fine with either way.

You know, I can only speculate, but the fact that the return occurred pretty promptly after banning does suggest that banning, as unfortunate as it is that things came to that, may have been the jolt of coffee or wake-up call needed, the realization that right action did need to be taken. But I can't know, could be coincidence.

Everyone's help on this is very much appreciated!

Thank you! I didn't know that.

I agree completely that the best is to wait for the actual arrival before doing anything on the other thread. It makes little sense that the package would be anything but what it should, but best to be sure before posting.

While the board tells me I don't have the privileges to add a new post to the end, I do have the option of editing the original post. And will do so shortly according to what the package is.

If the mods, at that time, would reopen so I can add it at the end that would be fine too, most certainly -- I am fine with either way.

You know, I can only speculate, but the fact that the return occurred pretty promptly after banning does suggest that banning, as unfortunate as it is that things came to that, may have been the jolt of coffee or wake-up call needed, the realization that right action did need to be taken. But I can't know, could be coincidence.

Everyone's help on this is very much appreciated!

Right, you can't just post, because the thread is closed. But you should be able to reopen it and then post. Click Thread Tools at the top of the thread...the Open box is probably not checked. Click that and it will reopen, post your update, and then unclick it to reclose it.

View attachment 1299492

You should be able to reopen and edit the original thread after you get back your property. I'm happy to hear that you have a tracking number. It's a shame he couldn't at least stay in communication. I've had a lot of personal and health issues myself over the years but never let it interfere with my obligations. An hour out of a serious surgery I was on my phone online. So going dark or ghosting someone is totally unacceptable in this day and age

Thank you both!

I would have been unable to do that without your advice.

I will re-open when getting the package and having the full information.

Agreed completely on all points!

I will re-open when getting the package and having the full information.
Unless there’s been a software update that I’m not aware of, you do not have the ability to open your thread because it was locked by a Moderator.

If you had locked your thread, you would then have the ability to unlock it.

You should be able to post in your thread even though it’s locked because you are the thread starter and have not been banned from it, other members however will not have the ability to post in it as long as it remains locked.

Thank you!

I will find out what the board allows at the time, which should be before Friday I would think (the tracking gives no prediction but does say it was indeed received yesterday.)

I did receive my knife and sheath today, both in perfect condition, the sheath fitting perfectly now, a quality item.

In the other thread I was able to edit my original post to add that information, but was unable to edit the title. Which I suppose is not a problem.

I sent Mike Sastre owner and sole worker at River City Sheaths my Cold Steel Push Knife and $77. After waiting SIX MONTHS he sent me my knife and the horizontal sheath I ordered. I was too eager to want the sheath to work. I found that from normal activity, just sitting, standing and walking the knife often falls out.

$77 WASTED
You know, I owe you an apology, because I knew this shop didn’t keep commitments several months before you dealt with him, and didn’t post here. I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

My experience was a kydex sheath and g-clip order for a vintage Cold Steel Pro Guard, and it was months of excuses about his health, the weather, etc., etc. then went dark with no contact or response to emails, and no delivery. I finally filed a dispute with PayPal and my $75 was refunded. I understand life happens but this isn’t a way to run a business.

No worries, I had an outstanding Kydex guy make a beautiful sheath for one of my Busse’s a few years ago, I think the company name was Mashed Cat, so I’ll look him up and hopefully he’s still in operation. I only contacted RCS because he supposedly specialized in Kydex for this model.

You know, I owe you an apology, because I knew this shop didn’t keep commitments several months before you dealt with him, and didn’t post here. I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

My experience was a kydex sheath and g-clip order for a vintage Cold Steel Pro Guard, and it was months of excuses about his health, the weather, etc., etc. then went dark with no contact or response to emails, and no delivery. I finally filed a dispute with PayPal and my $75 was refunded. I understand life happens but this isn’t a way to run a business.

No worries, I had an outstanding Kydex guy make a beautiful sheath for one of my Busse’s a few years ago, I think the company name was Mashed Cat, so I’ll look him up and hopefully he’s still in operation. I only contacted RCS because he supposedly specialized in Kydex for this model.
Mashed Cat is a member here, under Grandsuave Grandsuave

Can confirm....Mashed Cat makes a great sheath.

I'm also partial to David Brown of buybrownind.com

Another active member here.

Back