Recommendation? Axe head beard repair

Hello Everyone!
Just dove into buying and fixing up old axe heads; purchased a lot of 7 axe heads + 1 adze head from an auction in Saskatchewan Canada.

One head has a crack in the beard and was wondering what the best way to repair it. Yes I know some welders but wanted the forum’s advice on what to tell him/her to do. Or should I just leave it be and hang it as a cruiser?

Without knowing the state of the crack we can't reasonably make any suggestions. The best solution is entirely dependent on context. If you're able to post pictures (host them offsite and link them here with the IMG tags function) then we may be able to give helpful feedback. :)

Overcleaned, that poor thing. Were you planning on putting this piece to work? If so I'd say it's probably cheaper to just find another head. Otherwise welding it is really the only viable course of action.

Since its not a deep crack (coming at this as a welder myself) i would clean out the crack with a die grinder, so that you can hit clean base metal where the crack terminates. Keep the bit in water or sandwich it between thick copper/brass/aluminum plates as to draw the heat away from the tempered edge. As for filler metal, honestly if its not directly on the edge anything will do, but i would not lay it in fully, i would hit it with "tacks" just so you can keep the heat down and go slightly over so when you clean it up you can keep your lines clean and not have a divot or groove showing.

Back