Axe Head Patterns - Jerseys!

Well the axe head pattern of the "Jersey" style is as popular as ever, and properly so. Lugs for extra haft/head contact, longer bit for more head/wood contact, good balance with poll, etc. Of course not everyone likes to have to re-haft them(me, lol)

A versatile axe no doubt, and still popular today as far as manufacturing goes. As with any axe, back in the day geography played a role with just which "Jersey" you had - baltimore, kentucky, baltimore-kentucky, etc etc. This has always been and will continue to be one of my favorite parts of axe history.

Here are some of my Jerseys -

SAM_1345_zps75a50f84.jpg

There are different kinds in there - Kelly, Mann True American, Sager, Sentry, Master Mechanic, Collins Commander, Belknap, etc.

You will see on the bottom left(no haft) - that is an old original rockaway pattern, actually one of the first - it is stamped Mckinnon, Rockaway NJ. I put that in the pic because it is technically the grand-daddy to the jersey pattern we know today.

Lets see what you guys have for Jerseys - I know they are loved on here and you guys have some - so lets see em!

Thanks for looking!

Wish everyone a Merry Christmas!!!

Thanks!

Mike

A fella who didn't know any better could think I had a problem...

IMG_2490.jpg

There's also the Plumb rockaway that rides in my car. Love that axe but didn't have room for anything on a handle. In there are a Mann True American, a Banks? (hard to read due to hammering on the poll) a WC Kelly Perfect, a True Temper Kelly Perfect, three Plumbs + a Victory, a Rixford, a Shapleigh's Diamond Edge, (those last two are the big whoppers), a Collins, a Homestead, a Flint Edge my father in law had on his farm and a couple unmarked heads. Whew! Oh yeah, there's also the 5 pound Kelly Perfect in this photo, where you can still read the weight on the poll!
IMG_2438_2.jpg
Oh yeah, and my 6 pound Flint Edge Baltimore woodsplitter... And that Collins Commander that's almost hung... And maybe one or two more...
Oy. Anybody needs one, it probably wouldn't hurt me to get rid of a couple...

Thank you 'Big O'...I just love those Jersey patterns.

New Collins Jersey patterns can be bought here. They have thick ugly hafts and the whole unit looks and feels like crap.

Hardly ever see any old Jerseys here. If they ever come-up for auction they fetch a good price. Was bidding on a KELLY recently but had to pull out when I realized I'd have to sell ten other good axes to pay for it.

Many jerseys are a little flat in the face for me. I like the 'lead in' that a more rounded face gives.

I would like to handle the one on the left of your pic and the one on the right. I'll bet the one on the left would feel the best to me. Also like the look of 2nd from right (hafted). Looks like a good all day user.

regards...Frank

That's some nice looking jerseys fellows!
I've only got a few, but not nearly as many as you fine gentleman :)

Many jerseys are a little flat in the face for me. I like the 'lead in' that a more rounded face gives.

I'm just the opposite. I want a square face on an axe so that I cut to an even depth over a wider area. If I want it to 'lead in' more then I use an axe with a narrower bit.

That's the beauty of tool use.There are as many right ways to use a tool are there are men experienced at using it. It's all good.

My Jerseys...
Left are 3 plumbs. Right of them, mostly Kelly flint Edge & Perfects. 1 Collins, 1 Sager, 1 Americanax

JerseyaxesEstwingaxeKellyperfect001_zps24941cdb.jpg

Thanks for looking, Tom

All I have for a jersey is my council tool 3.5 with the 36" handle, got it for Christmas and now I have no more wood to split!

Op, whats that bottom right head? I like that one!

Here's what I got not much but a few got rid of a few of them as Christmas gifts this is what's left
YHqDS.jpg
[/IMG]

Nice!
Santa, I think the second one from the left would fit me:D!

Hahahahha
Should have asked a month ago you might have gotten one in the mail. that one is something like a 3 pound true temper Kelly works its a good truck axe if you like the jersey axe pattern which I don't very much like do just have them to collect wish i had the size of collection as the other guys and nicer axes like op. I love my council tools third from the left jersey because it has a smaller bit works better for the wood I cut. Going to buy a truck load of cold this weekend and try and to make a jersey mix with a Michigan on the anvil it should be fun.

hello, i think i have one of those no name jerseys with the M 3 1/2 marking on it. still not sure of the maker but that link really makes me think it could be a plumb. thanks for the info

Well so far a huge fail coal burned so hot my late 1800 forge table burned up in a few places and so cold out side my beer freezes faster then I can drink it

Yep, your going to have to switch to somthing with more octane. I recommend Mezcal.

Yep, your going to have to switch to somthing with more octane. I recommend Mezcal.

Mezcal no thank you repaired the forge and just kept the beer on the forge table to keep it form freezing. I also made a hood for the forge table my lungs like the hood a lot. But no axe yet just a few hawk
I did deside too stain my true temper Kelly works handle
5LF3K.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Back