Axe?

Well, we really like the style of the Gransfors Bruks line. ;)

The Small Forest Axe is one of the best I've used for survival / outdoor work, so I figure it will be close to that. Here's a photo from Sage Creek:

forestgb2.jpg

One thing to watch for in designing an axe is the overhead profile. A lot of people tell me the Gransfors tend to have too thin a profile that doesn't split or chip out wood very well. I'm told the overhead profile of the Iltis Oxhead Forest Axe makes it the best axe for both felling and splitting. A universal type head with a Hudson Bay profile like the Gransfors Small Forest Axe/Scandinavian Forest Axe, or the Snow & Neally Hudson Bay axe in typical cruiser length (24-26") with a 1 3/4 to 2 pound head would be great.

I had been eyeballing a Gransfors or Wetterlings recently.

No longer!!

If the Axe goes over well, are there going to be thoughts of a hatchet down the road?

And... ITS ABOUT TIME that RAT came out with something heavy for us woodsmen!!! :D I've been whining about getting a heavy duty RTAK for a while now - but this is even better.

My "Pine Tree Jungle" could sure use some thinning! ;)

Hand axes are perhaps my favorite tool for the wilds. You can do just about anything with the right size ax. The GB Small Forest Ax is about the right size, IMO. I have one and have used it for years for just about everything, so I suppose our first entry into the ax world will be along these lines.

Any rough idea when you will begin producing these? I am in the market for a camp axe. My hatchet met its end last camping season and I was going to replace it with a small axe for better firewood chopping.

Don't wait on us, amigo. It may be on into the Summer before we get anything going good on this thing. If you can find you a good Gransfors Bruks to replace your hatchet you'll be happy. GB makes some of the best tools in the world but they're expensive now that the dollar has fallen so much against the Euro.

Ive been using a wetterlings small hunter axe (18.5") and it works fantastically. I have heard they are hit and miss and need a hand pick but the one i got was in great shape. Finished off the edge with a full convex grind and it cuts like mad. Splits wood well, felled trees in the 8" trunk size very quickly, Fuzz sticks like butter too. I need to get a kydex sheath made up with a firesteel holder soon though. I have not used the poll yet to clean any game and probably never will.... kinda a hands on guy with a knife. But when you guys start selling axes i will order one the day they are out. But i couldn't be happier with my $54. wetterlings.

Back