Axes with hardened poll

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, mushrooming isn't always a sign that a poll isn't hardened, either. I recall seeing an old advert at one point, I think it was Plumb, that advertised their hardened polls as being softer than their bits for the very reason that it would minimize chipping while still being more resistant to deformation than an unhardened poll.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, mushrooming isn't always a sign that a poll isn't hardened, either. I recall seeing an old advert at one point, I think it was Plumb, that advertised their hardened polls as being softer than their bits for the very reason that it would minimize chipping while still being more resistant to deformation than an unhardened poll.
Square_peg has a Walters rafting axe that shows poll mushrooming instead of chipping. Just how much intense hammering this old axe did over it's career in order to 'flair' like that would be interesting to know. For sure Morley Walters (company President from 1913 to 1969) would have had regular feedback about his products from log drivers and rafting crews because his factory was located right next to a major route (Ottawa River) for logs and timber rafts.

Back