Recommendation? Axminster ac125bds any good?

How do?!?! OK so this is my first post, I've been rather successful in finding info thus far but I'm pretty stumped.
Just got into knife making in my spare time and I'm looking for a belt grinder that would be sufficient until I can justify spending £500+ on a decent one. I've seen an axminster ac125bds for £80 but can't find any decent reviews so thought i'd ask here for advice.
Do you think the motor will have enough torque to not get bogged down? I'm using an angle grinder with flap discs etc so I guess any belt grinder will probably be a breathe of fresh air.
Anyone use one? Or something in a similar price range? Cheers guys

I had never heard of the grinder that you specify but with a quick search found it. It looks like you're in the UK. It uses 25mm belts, roughly similar to a 1X30 here in the states. It has a 190 watt motor which I believe is equivalent to a 0.25 HP motor here in the US. Can it be used...yes. Will you be happy...probably not.
If you haven't already done so look at the section of Shop Talk called "the Sticky Thread" it has tons of info and recommendations for new makers. You might also want to look at Aaron Gough's YouTube video on using a file jig to make knives. It's also a good starting point to see if you're really interested. If you are it's probably worth saving your money for a real knife grinder (a 2" X 72" or British equivalent)
Just my 2 cents (pence :))

Last edited:
I had never heard of the grinder that you specify but with a quick search found it. It looks like you're in the UK. It uses 25mm belts, roughly similar to a 1X30 here in the states. It has a 190 watt motor which I believe is equivalent to a 0.25 HP motor here in the US. Can it be used...yes. Will you be happy...probably not.
If you haven't already done so look at the section of Shop Talk called "the Sticky Thread" it has tons of info and recommendations for new makers. You might also want to look at Aaron Gough's YouTube video on using a file jig to make knives. It's also a good starting point to see if you're really interested. If you are it's probably worth saving your money for a real knife grinder (a 2" X 72" or British equivalent)
Just my 2 cents (pence :))

Cheers mate!
I appreciate your time!

Well I was thinking of getting something quite inexpensive to tide me over till I've saved my pennies (cents) and I came across that axminster thing. It's a bit on the expensive side of being inexpensive so i'll be swerving that one I reckon.
One of the super market brands here in the uk occasionally have a week where they sell tools and machines on one isle. I've been told they do a bench grinder (one of them ones with a stone on one side and a 686x50mm belt on the other) it's 250 watts and 840mpm and best of all it's £29.99! People tell me the value for money on those tools is impeccable so I think i'll snap one of them up next time they're in just to tide me over.
Obviously build quality is a huge factor when choosing a machine but what would you recommend for a minimum wattage/HP and minimum/maximum speed of rotation for a big boys belt grinder?

If your from Britain, perhaps the Draper 05096 is something for you. It has bigger belts (50 X 686 / 2" X 27") and double the power. It sells for £99 at amazon uk:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-05096-Grinder-Sanding-Worklight/dp/B005A57BAC/

I almost got it but then decided to get something bigger (a 50 X 2000 / 2" X 72").

The Draper can be seen being used in these videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMpfmdvdjVv3KAT75LEX_fw
I've seen them and they were very tempting until I was told lidl/aldi will occasionally do a special offer of a different brand but looks to be practically the same machine except its 30 quid. Just got to wait till the offer pops up but I have no idea when that will be so I might have saved for a 2x72 by then haha.
Cheers for your time mate

I've seen them and they were very tempting until I was told lidl/aldi will occasionally do a special offer of a different brand but looks to be practically the same machine except its 30 quid. Just got to wait till the offer pops up but I have no idea when that will be so I might have saved for a 2x72 by then haha.
Cheers for your time mate

But keep in mind that the lidl/aldi is only 250 watts (as you write) which is a little on the weak side. 380 Watts is probably bare minimum. But please do report back if you get the aldi/lidl and how it works for you.

Edit: here is a video with the aldi grinder:
:)

Cheers mate!
I appreciate your time!

Well I was thinking of getting something quite inexpensive to tide me over till I've saved my pennies (cents) and I came across that axminster thing. It's a bit on the expensive side of being inexpensive so i'll be swerving that one I reckon.
One of the super market brands here in the uk occasionally have a week where they sell tools and machines on one isle. I've been told they do a bench grinder (one of them ones with a stone on one side and a 686x50mm belt on the other) it's 250 watts and 840mpm and best of all it's £29.99! People tell me the value for money on those tools is impeccable so I think i'll snap one of them up next time they're in just to tide me over.
Obviously build quality is a huge factor when choosing a machine but what would you recommend for a minimum wattage/HP and minimum/maximum speed of rotation for a big boys belt grinder?

1100 to 1500 watts (1.5-2HP) is what you're looking for in a 2X72 grinder.
Have you made any knives yet? If so what equipment do you already have? If not I would again point you to Aaron Gough's video on using files in a jig to make your first knives. It's quite elegant for being so simple and will help you learn a lot about plunge lines etc. Nick Wheeler, Walter Sorrells and Ekim knives all have great videos to get you started and some will address equipment needs.

Not wanting to speak out of turn, but for equipment and tools available in the UK, might I recommend that you visit the Edgematters forum? You might find other folk asking the same sort of question.

There is still little doubt that the breadth and depth of expertise here on the actual making is greater than in the UK, but for finding out what tools you can get there is a lot to be said for finding a local forum.

Robert's advice is very good. I made quite a few knives using files and stones before I bought a grinder (a Coote 10" 2x72). Before that, briefly, I used a B&D Power File, but that was only really any good for putting a convex edge on a hard blade. Disappointing for moving metal for the main grind. I am pretty sure that I would have been disappointed in one of the smaller grinders too.

Do you have a pillar drill? Of the two tools, I think the drill is harder to do without and is more useful for more things, including making knives.

Best of luck, and welcome to the club!

Chris

Back