[b]Lionsteel/DPx HEST 2.0 Coyote Brown s/n question....[/b]

EChoil

BANNED
Hope this is the right place for this as it's manufactured by Lionsteel:

I have a HEST 2.0 Coyote Brown folder that gets a lot of use. Research says only 100 of the brown ones were issued. In addition to subtle differences from the standard model they were to be serial numbered.

Lately I have been puzzling over the only numbering I can find...on the backspacer (itself different from the standard) :

HSFx 555x​

...both x's being a single digit number. Any Coyote Brown owners know how to decipher this 'serial number' or code or whatever it is? Or what "HSF" would mean? I can't relate any of it to an issue of 100 pieces.

Thanks.

EDIT: there is more space between the 'x' and the '5' than this will allow me to put; an obvious break as though it's two different codes.

Last edited:
Serial# is the last set of 4 digits on the spine of the handle and the 4 digits before the serial# is the manufacture month & year which in my case says 0514 (May 2014). There were about 180 plain edge and 150 serrated ones.

Pictures of all my three DPx HEST/F 2.0 folders: Original Triple Black T3 Special Edition (Partially Serrated PVD-coated Niolox, black G-10), MilSpec (stonewashed Sleipner, black G-10) and Mr. DP Coyote (Elmax, G-10).

969b7a54-a44d-430e-adc0-3ae95b169a8c_zps7b2b07b0.jpg

b8e2e212-7173-453f-bd09-c6f570098c76_zps1c1ff287.jpg

You're too fast, Ram. :)

I'm slow today....I don't understand: 4 digits for a s/n of a 100 issue? Ya think?? And the first three being all the same....

And how is a manufacture month and year designated by "HSFx", 'x' being a single number?

By 180 and 150 do you mean Coyote Brown 2.0's ? I'uz told several times and confirmed online that only 100 were made, but I didn't get the serrated/plain breakdown. I think you know better than I do though; I think our HESTs are coded differently.

Nice 'uns, man. I sure do like my HEST's. I have a few of the fixed blades and you probably do too. Hope you can enlighten me further on the above.....

I pulled from an old thread on another forum. Perhaps we should both take new pictures of where these codes are on the knives. I'll do that tomorrow.

Mine appears down the middle of the black backspacer spine in what appears to be a white 'ink' (it looks like a silkscreen print) although it doesn't wear off. Not huge, rather small, but the text block in Post #1 is centered on the spacer. Supposedly the brown model has a different backspacer...a bit longer and re-shaped I think. Btw, there is no s/n of any kind on the blade.

Isn't your Mister serial numbered? On the spacer? Do you know how many were issued? Out of curiosity, do you see a difference in your backspacers?

Someone with a brown one will come along....

On the backspacers:

Milspec says "DPHSF007 050913 0236". I'm guessing the first part is the model#, second part manufacture date (May 9, 2013) and the last part the serial# (0236).

Mr. DP Coyote says "DPX HEST/F 123 0514 0104". Last part is serial# and before it the month & year of manufacture.

Sounds right to me. Just don't know why I'd have a 4-digit s/n for an issue of 100.

Hey guys - the HEST/F Coyote @EChoil is referring to is different than the HEST/F Mr. DP Coyote @RamZar has. The serial number in EChoils knife is different than the standard one we've been using (and that RamZar explained). HSF = HEST/F and the number after was an internal code to identify the run. There were four sequential numbers because we serialized them by that run/model, not specific G10 color. We did a run of HEST/Fs with colored G10 and did no more of 100 of each color but, other than the color of G10, the run of knives were all the same, hence more than 3 digits. Hope that makes sense. Confusing I know. We've been using the serial number convention RamZar explained in our knives for the last two years and that's what we'll be using going forward. The colored G10 runs were kind of an anomaly.

Back