Baby Bolo?

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I have been working on this pattern for a couple of weeks. It has gone through a few changes since I first finished it. At first it was going to be heavier with a wide flat spine. I played with it a bit and it worked fine but for it's size it was simply too heavy. Back to the grinder! I moved the bevel up to meet the spine for a full flat grind and it still chops fine for it's size but it is now also a better slicer :) Also weight is reduced a bit. I then added a choil cut similar to my recent recurve to change up the profile a little. Because it is ground out of 1/4in thick 5160 it is hardly just another utility style since it has some real chop to it. Hence the Baby Bolo name :) It is 11 1/16in overall with a 6 1/2in blade tip to handle. I used natural linen micarta for the scales. The tang is drilled out with five 1/2in holes to make it balance better right at the front of the handle scale. Weight on it(I finally bought a scale) is just a hair over 12 ounces.

Thanks guys! This is a pretty fun "little" blade! For all my use of folders and even small bushcraft style knives, I really prefer something with a little more chopping ability to it. This design carrys well on the belt and still retains some heft for bigger chores.

I really love how the handle gets bigger toward the end. I bet it handles really well.

I like the flaring at the end too. It fills the same role as a pommel but in a different way. Also while it is wider at the rear, I have sculpted the slabs so it creates palm swells and you still get a tight closed grip at the pommel end.

If anyone is really interested, this one can be had for $225 shipped with a Kydex sheath set up for a large tek lok(not included). :)

Wow this is killing me!!!! I just bought another custom last Friday or I would be on this like a fat kid on a cup cake!!!!

Back