Back off, pitdog!!

Hey KGD thanks for those references, I think I'll hunt them both down.
Pitdog, thanks that's nice reference site. I'm going to go back to that one. I haven't tried nearly as many as I saw on that site... although there were a few things I've had that were not listed there.
Yahmanin...damn...that's a really good idea.
Doc13 I got lucky and spent some time there years ago (Fernie in the 80's)...you're more than right.
~~~~~~~~~~~
And
DOC-CANADA , I agree with the cross references...except when I was young there were no references...you just ate what the others were eating because they ate it before and knew where/when to get it. It was so normal back then. There was some kind of tree nut that I've had that I've never found a reference for, (really good), although that's more from lack of diligent effort. So cross references and the usual 1st time caution requirements will rule. And I will have a look at John Kallas' book.
Now here's an odd question and comment...you mentioned trapping but that is a far from take-out...insects on the other hand are readily available and some are very tasty when prepped right...can you or anybody suggest a reference which also includes the little critters?
Or have I just alienated myself from this whole thread ;)

Hey KGD thanks for those references, I think I'll hunt them both down.
Pitdog, thanks that's nice reference site. I'm going to go back to that one. I haven't tried nearly as many as I saw on that site... although there were a few things I've had that were not listed there.
Yahmanin...damn...that's a really good idea.
Doc13 I got lucky and spent some time there years ago (Fernie in the 80's)...you're more than right.
~~~~~~~~~~~
And
DOC-CANADA , I agree with the cross references...except when I was young there were no references...you just ate what the others were eating because they ate it before and knew where/when to get it. It was so normal back then. There was some kind of tree nut that I've had that I've never found a reference for, (really good), although that's more from lack of diligent effort. So cross references and the usual 1st time caution requirements will rule. And I will have a look at John Kallas' book.
Now here's an odd question and comment...you mentioned trapping but that is a far from take-out...insects on the other hand are readily available and some are very tasty when prepped right...can you or anybody suggest a reference which also includes the little critters?
Or have I just alienated myself from this whole thread ;)

Hey J, no, you haven't alienated yourself :D - this might be of interest.

Doc

Thank Doc Canada! I read a few recipes and I like what I see, I guess that ones probably going to be 1st on my list.

There was some kind of tree nut that I've had that I've never found a reference for, (really good), although that's more from lack of diligent effort.

Hey J, just a stab in the dark. Is this the nut you're referring to?

Beaked-hazelnut-sm.jpg

Doc

Hey J, just a stab in the dark. Is this the nut you're referring to?

Beaked-hazelnut-sm.jpg

Doc

I think that's it DOC! Although I thought they were in sets of 2, but the colour is right and those little pricklys. I made the mistake of filling my front jean pockets with those and bike riding home...not a pleasant experience...
What's the tree called?
--J

I think that's it DOC! Although I thought they were in sets of 2, but the colour is right and those little pricklys. I made the mistake of filling my front jean pockets with those and bike riding home...not a pleasant experience...
What's the tree called?
--J

Looks like Hazelnut, but we'll see if the Doc will confirm that.

Last edited:
What's the tree called?
--J

Hey J, tony's right. It's (Beaked) Hazelnut (Corylus cornuta) and I agree about it usually being in sets of 2 rather than 3, but it was the best picture I could find on Google Image Search. I thought it might be it because it's the only nut tree I've seen when I've been in Northern Ontario. I also agree about the nuts being quite good.

It apparenly grows around here, but I've never found it. Here's a distribution mag - you have to scroll down a bit.

Doc

I sure appreciate all the help Doc. Hey Tony have you ever had any or are you just very proficient at ID?
I've never seen them down here but I know some great areas to plant them...and with all this additional info finding Beaked Hazelnut whips may take a little while to find, but will happen.
I don't know what to say Doc, except thank you for taking an interest and helping a stranger. They'll take a bit of time to find, and maybe a few years to produce; but maybe we can spread them around...want some?
--J

I sure appreciate all the help Doc. Hey Tony have you ever had any or are you just very proficient at ID?
--J

No, and no I'm not. I just know a Hazelnut when I see it. :)

I have had Hazelnut flavored coffee if that counts.. ;)

Back