Background on Tanto design

Did a little searching but didn't come across any discussion on this. If there's anything wrong with this forum, it's that there are too many posts.

But my question relates to tanto blades, the first one of which I just acquired. What's their background, why were they designed that way, and any other neat stuff that is not generally known about this design?

Thanks.

What type of Tanto blade did you purchase? If it is a modern folder it is probably an 'Americanized' Tanto, not a true Tanto blade. You may send me a private message if you wish to know more about what a Tanto really is.

Y

If there's anything wrong with this forum, it's that there are too many posts.

I hope that was meant sarcastically.:) Its not a forum if no one speaks.

You may send me a private message if you wish to know more about what a Tanto really is.

Why not share with the rest of us, after all, thats why were here. That way, later down the road when someone else has this question, they will have somewhere to find the info.;)

If I am not mistaken, Bob Lum was the first to use the modified/Americanized tanto style. Many different variations on this theme have been introduced since.

The traditional tanto is a Japanese design. It has a blade with a length of less than 12 inches. This design has a tip that in my opinion is much more functional than the "Americanized" version.

http://swordforum.com/sfu/japanese/americanized.html

Originally posted by Texian
If there's anything wrong with this forum, it's that there are too many posts.

Yeah, I should have put a smiley face after that one.

The Tanto I have is a bit over 3 inches, a folding knife sold by Springfield Armory and made by the Eickhorn-Solingen Company.
Thanks for the research links. I'll get to them as soon as I finish all the new posts. :)

Back