Backpackers! What knives are you carrying?

TAH

Gold Member
It's that time of year again. Next weekend, I'm going into my 28th season of backpacking. Being a knife nut, I've changed up my knives over the years trying to find that perfect combination of performance without excessive weight. For the last few years, I've settled on these two and I don't see changing anytime soon.

Mora Companion and Victorinox Bantam...

UhJPPEi.jpg

Have you found your perfect backpacking knife/knives? :)

Right now the light weight pair is a BM bugout and mora eldris, but that's not a terribly hard and fast rule. The bugout is however pretty near perfect as a walking folder, I can see it and a SAK classic taking on pretty near anything short of building a cabin.

Nice combo OP and I like that sheath for the mora!

Thanks kgd. Love the Mora, but not the original sheath. The Kydex sheath takes the package to the next level.

I read the title and instantly thought, 'Well, a Mora Companion, and some type of Swiss Army knife.' (These days, I'm sporting an original lightweight 1st gen. Leatherman Tool with its tooled-leather belt sheath, bought in great condition at a recent yard sale for $5; tickled pink) - then, read the original post, saw the photos, and chuckled. Good on ya TAH, good on ya. :D

If you are counting ounces, a Mora Companion without a doubt would be my choice. I'm not a major backpacker and usually carry something more robust in the woods along with a SAK. I don't generally count ounces. I look at the available space I have and choose what I will carry.

Reactions: TAH
If you are counting ounces, a Mora Companion without a doubt would be my choice. I'm not a major backpacker and usually carry something more robust in the woods along with a SAK. I don't generally count ounces. I look at the available space I have and choose what I will carry.

Actually, the Mora Companion and aftermarket Kydex sheath weigh 5.3 oz and the Vic Bantam weighs 1.2 oz. Hardcore backpackers would frown at carrying 6.5 oz of knife related stuff. :rolleyes:

For backpacking I have landed on a Mora Companion (I also use an aftermarket Kydex sheath) which I carry in my pack. I also either carry a Vic Farmer, or more often a Spyderco Delica in my pocket. I am not extremely weight conscious, I have just landed on these as favorites.

I only carry one knife and it usually is an Esee Izula. Small and tough. I also picked up a Tops Shango XL and a small custom Kiridashi neck knife which I have yet to try out this summer. For car camping or short trips, I also pack a Gransfords Bruks wildlife hatchet for campfires.

IMG_8387.jpg
IMG_8386.jpg

I don't think you could have a more practical combination. If I were to swap anything though the Lumberjack, or recently named Walker, offers you the saw on the same length as the Bantam. I've used it for a variety of things and it's quite capable.

IMG_1805.jpg

Neck Knives. Plus Silky Saw Accell if I'm planning on processing large downfall.

Back