Bad Grind Issue

So I had a client come to me to ask me about a Katana that someone started to grind and ended up screwing the pooch with. This moron decided to grind all kinds of dumb into this blade.

The Shoulder above the Shinogi (Shinogi-ji?) near the rear of the sword has a serious hollow to it running long ways with the sword. He seriously overground that part and as a result the Mune in this section has been reduced significantly. If I take lead and use the already messed up grind, Ill be removing the spine thickness significantly, and would have one half the sword with a flat, correct angle on the Shinogi-Ji, and the other significantly angled. (sword profile)

..___
./....l
/.....l
\..../
.\../
..v

The sword looks like an apprentice WW2 era sword, possibly one of them Cut Tang swords. Whaddyall think should be done? Any ideas on how to attack this problem? If I continue and grind both sides on a stone to be equall, creating an almost diamond like shape, Id end up symmetrical but without any Mune thickness.

If I were in the business, i would simply refuse the blade or chop it up for other projects. Unless there is enough stock there to make something uniform and of something you can be proud of, why bother?

Cheers

GC

Back