bad law, worst reaction

Hi all,
Yesterday i went to a smal but important knife show in Switzeland (just like the whole Switzerland :small,rich and very important
wink.gif
).There i learned about a new knife law that has been declared from their government since the first of february : Any one handed operated knife,whether with a spring,a stud or a hole in the blade that has a blade of more than 9 cm ( That should be a little more than 3.5 inches )is a weapon. Period . As you can imagine there is no more possibility to buy there a police or a military .
Just like it is not bad enough, Klotzli (that is the importer of spydies in CH )took the worst possible way to make enduras legal : instead of closing the hole with an epoxy resin plug ( i saw it on a Timberlite and of course it's very clever : all you need is a tap with an hammer and some polishing )they SHORTENED THE KNIFE !! I am not joking, they rounded the thip of the enduras, giving them sort of a Wharncliffe style blade and shortening it to 9 cm.It looks like a mix between a pro grip and a rescue.
In my opinion they ruined the knives and they did a great damage to Spyderco with this act.Just think about a newcomer that doesn't know what is the real shape of an endura.
Luckily i am italian.......

[This message has been edited by maxegb (edited 02-11-2001).]

I thought the Swiss had better sence then this. Even if they do somtimes cater to the UN. Isn't it past time that they change it to UC, United Communist, what it has been all along. RKBA!

Gulp if there, what about us in the Unfriendly to Knives? (UK)
wink.gif

W.A.

------------------
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Alan2112:
I thought the Swiss had better sence then this. Even if they do somtimes cater to the UN. </font>

AFAIK, the Swiss provide space for UN buildings, but following their long tradition of neutrality, they aren't members of the UN themselves.

Yes Sir, it is totally crazy.
But it is a law since Jan 1st 1999, which does not make it any better.
There go rumors, that this law will be MUCH modified (British model, aka: NO KNIVES at all).
There is a large fraction of the population, (the "better" 51%, if you can see what I mean) which can easily be seduced into believing whatever nonsense you tell them often enough.
If I told you "who", I would immediately be executed as "racist". So I do not.
Hint: we do have a female justice minister.
Happy sharpening
smile.gif

------------------
Ted

I am very sorry for you, Zut.Just to chher you up a bit: Milan Is not so far.....

ZUT&ZUT,

Isn't military service in Switzerland mandatory? And after your service you keep you "gear" including rifle? If you are trained in the use and resonsibility of a firearm, but you are not trusted with a one handed operated knife over 3.5", something is wrong.

Hi DL, yes military service is still "mandatory", but there are now so many ways out, that this is almost no longer true. You just have to "whine about cruelty of war and your senstive soul" and out you are.
Those who do service, are managed with silk gloves, so there still are a few who do....
Yes, we still have an auto-rifle and ammo to keep, but VERY STRONG influencies (guess who) want to ban that asap.
Hint: UC+UF (united communists & united feminists)
One more hint: wait & see, what happens, when "Saint Hillary" gets her third term.....

------------------
Ted

To maxegb: No worry, you don' t have to teach grandmother how to steal chickens...

------------------
Ted

Back