Bad Rattitude owners; what are your thoughts?

I haven't seen many if any reviews of the Swamp Rat Bad Rattitude; for those of you that own one, what do you think? Is anyone using it in any outdoor capacity? Would love to hear how it performs

I use the bog runner, similar size I believe and same steel.
Here are my thoughts.
I really like it. Handle is slim and its light and sharp , very sharp pointy blade. The bog runner has no choil where the bad rattitude does. Steel takes a patina rapidly. Mine has a penetrator tip. Makes it look a bit unusual in a good way.

I use the bog runner, similar size I believe and same steel.
Here are my thoughts.
I really like it. Handle is slim and its light and sharp , very sharp pointy blade. The bog runner has no choil where the bad rattitude does. Steel takes a patina rapidly. Mine has a penetrator tip. Makes it look a bit unusual in a good way.
How's edge retention and edge toughness? Are you finding that it tends to roll more rather than chip? What have you used it on so far?

As I understand it, it's identical to 1095 Cro-Van but as we know, the heat treat makes all the difference so I'm curious how it performs given the higher quality HT I imagine it has over say an industry standard HT.

I don't know what tweaks Busse has put into it, but I'm betting he worked his magic on it and it's been optimized.

I have used to cut some veggies and fruit. And a bit of rope , but haven’t used it too much. Fruit stained the blade, although I only wiped it dry , didn’t wash it.
I haven’t sharpened it so not sure I can answer your questions.

Last edited:
Haven't used mine, I really like the blade shape, thickness and geometry...but the handle is absolutely awful.

It handles like a brick, I'm 6' tall with proportionately sized hands...and this is possibly the worst handle on a knife I've ever used except for the wretched Ratweiler handle.

Haven't used mine, I really like the blade shape, thickness and geometry...but the handle is absolutely awful.

It handles like a brick, I'm 6' tall with proportionately sized hands...and this is possibly the worst handle on a knife I've ever used except for the wretched Ratweiler handle.
Interesting, so do you find the handle too boxy or something, or just broadly uncomfortable?

I had a Bog Runner and a Bad Rattitude and sold both. I don't know what the deal is with that handle, it just didn't want to stay in my hand unless I was focused on maintaining a tight grip. It felt like if I wasn't death gripping it, I was going to drop it.

I wanted to like them, the blade shape is good.

I could see the bad rattitude, but you think the Ratweiler is bad???

I'm a sucker for the Ratweiler handle. I may or may not have picked up *another* one on the bay today. I keep selling my Ratweiler and then have regrets and then find more.

I’m a pretty big fella and have huge hands , long fingers.
I see the handle not necessarily as bad but simple. It acomódales many different or rather any hand grip or position. The handle to spine angle is straight and thus predictable in the grip. It’s a simple design and that’s why I love it. It is not a custom Palm flared etc handle but I think that’s obvious. It like the Mora version of a busse knife. A utilitarian design, well made …..etc. Maybe I’m mistaken but that my opinion.

Antdog, thats just my opinion brother...I practice Filipino martial arts, and am VERY finicky about knives. The blade/warrior interface (aka handle 😁) is half of the equation.

I'll be posting a Ratweiler LE with a Buy Brown sheath that he molded for it...and that clunky Bad Rattitude as well. I'm done owning blades that I can't use in combat situations, even though I hope to never have to. Somehow along my journey I turned into a collector, and I'm about to remedy that.😲

I passed on both the Bog Runner and Bad Rattitude offerings from the factory, and I was sorry I did.

Bad Rattitude
Later I bought a Bad Rattitude, uncoated with black canvas micarta, sharpened by Father & Son Traditional Sharpening Father & Son Traditional Sharpening to 15 degrees per side, and if there is such a thing as "scary sharp" then this is it. W willmtn1 , My biggest complaint about the knife is the micarta has been buffed or sanded until it is significantly smoother and it makes the knife slippery to hang onto. It is ok for light use, but it would take a very firm grip for hard use. The large choil on this knife is a waste – it would be much nicer with a small choil like on the Bog Runner. Even so, I still like the handle shape and the blade shape.

Bog Runner
I also got a Bog Runner, and Father & Son Traditional Sharpening put a 12 degrees per side edge on it to my specification for use on soft materials, and wow, what a sharp knife! Since the Bog Runner has a full-height flat grind compared to the flat saber grind on the Bad Rattitude, the Bog Runner has a much thinner blade profile (although not stated in the specs, the Bog Runner appears to have a distal taper so it is really thin out toward the tip). The much smaller choil on the Bog Runner is greatly appreciated. This knife has Cerakote applied to it, including the handle, which improves the handle texture compared to the smoothed micarta.

Summary
These knives are keepers - I like them both, but I would choose the Bog Runner over the Bad Rattitude due to its thinner blade profile and small choil. For heavy use, the Bad Rattitude would probably be a better choice (maybe with grip tape on the handle).

On the uncoated 50100B steel, after handling I give it a quick wipe down with a clean, dry cotton cloth, and without any rust preventative I have had no problem with rust (I treat SR-101 or 52100 the same way with the same result). On a hot/humid or rainy day, I would coat the steel with a rust preventative before going outside (I have had sweat cause rust even on blued steel fairly quickly).

Regarding edge holding, I have not used them enough to comment on this, although others have said SR-101 holds an edge well so I would tend to expect similar performance with 50100B.

Back