fdd3e391.jpg

fdd3e385.jpg

fdd3e375.jpg

fdd3e366.jpg

fdd3e34d.jpg

fdd3e352.jpg

fdd3e334.jpg

Originally posted by kutch133
What is that orange discoloration on the liner lock?

That's from the cutting mangos. Shelby just missed a spot when he cleaned the blade. :p

BTW, awesome pictures Shelby! You're making my wait unbearable ;)

Titanium likes to change funny colors when you work it. Mine has it too. Since it is Ti, I can assure you it isn't rust.

I think I remember Mr. Mick or Mr. Duane saying it was due to heat treat. Left because they liked the way it looked.

Izrafil,

Do you have a sheath on order or a folder or both?

Hammerhead is right. It is from the heat treating and I believe it was Mick who said they leave it on because it looks pretty cool. Both my AR and GB are like that.

Shelb

Great Pics. When I first got the kydex sheath the screw on the inside of the TEK-LOK really scratched up one of my leather belts. You may want to put a piece of tape over that screw.

Frank Q.

wow those are great pics Shelby, is that the strider sheath?
My gb also has the discoloration glad to know it's normal.

Shelby,
Could you post a close up photo of the liner-to-blade lock up on either your AR or GB?
I just got my AR (it has the same discoloration by the way) and I'm curious about the lock up. Only about 1/2 the width of the liner is in contact with the blade. And only about the first 1/4 of the width of the blade is in contact with the liner. It just seems to me that the full strength potential of the system is not being utilized, but maybe that's the way it is supposed to be. A photo would help.
Also, the action is just a tad gritty. It also makes a slight squeaky/scraping noise when opening and closing. Is this normal for these folders?
It is an awesome folder.
Thanks

Harry,

You should check to see if there is any side to side or up and down play in the blade. If the lock-up is solid, then you should not have any problems. These liner locks will wear in in due time with repeated opening and closing.

My AR is absolutely perfect in lock up, with no bladeplay. The lock was very similar to yours in its position when I first got it, but has worn in and is fine. Again, just make sure there is no play in the blade when locked open.

Regarding the grittiness. The AR and GB (although some may argue this point) is not a "gentleman's knife." (Okay, most Strider people are gentlemen.) Therefore, most of the folders I have handled were a bit tight and gritty, but you can use some lubrication and is should help it. You can also loosen the pivot screw, but you have to be careful not to let that effect the lock up, so it's probably not a good idea. I am fortunate because my AR is "unusually" smooth. Hey Mick and Duane...what's up with that? This ain't no sissy knife!

The lock was very similar to yours in its position when I first got it, but has worn in and is fine.

DrSpine, are you saying that as the knife breaks in the liner lock will start to move further onto the blade?

Cooper:

All liner locks wear like that. But don't worry. The surface of the tang is radiused, so that as the liner wears it just keeps snugging itself up into the curvy tang. Shelby has pics of th eengagement of his AR on this forum (do a search) and you'll see what I mean. All goo dliner locks are made this way.

Hey Shelby, the pic you posted is of your AR. Does the liner lock on your GB go over that far?

Hey Shelby

Those pics are excellent! Can't wait to get my AR back! I asked them to include a kydex sheath along with the work being done.

Are you going to get the thumb studs like the ones on your AR put on your GB?

My AR has the same discoloration on the liner...I think it looks cool.

Shelby,

Waiting for 2 AR's and 2 sheaths ... one set is Yuwen's :p

They will be slightly different :D

Btw, you gonna make it to any of the knife shows outside of NY?

Atlanta isn't THAT far ;)

Izrafil,

I know what the feeling of waiting for an AR is like.

Btw, when and where is the next blade show(s)?

Shelb

Oni,

I think I'll leave it the way it is for now but in perspective, I see myself getting the smaller studs for it. I just like them. However, I am getting used to the larger stud as well and it is a good way of me telling the blade apart in the dark of the night by feeling ths stud and not the blade :eek:

Shelby

Back