Badmouthing Wicked Edge

Well, I am going to register my first and second complaint about Wicked Edge. I use their sharpeners and really like that product. Specifically I use the Go and decided to upgrade the case to their Deluxe version.

I received the case and was instantly underwhelmed. Two big issues. The first is that the two pictures (CAD pictures) on their website and the actual product are significantly different. Second and more problematic is the workmanship is atrocious. The 4 extra stone pockets aren’t really pockets. They sewed a loop of nylon on the bottom and sides and instead of making an actual pocket they took a horrible shortcut. The literally took a scissors and just snipped an inch or so long slit to create their pocket. It looks like hell, it is obviously a weak point that might tear, and they didn’t even melt the edges. It’s already fraying from all 4 pockets.

I am sending it back for a refund.

This all happened weeks ago. I wrote a very accurate albeit unflattering review. They won’t publish it. I keep checking. I find it very very poor form for a company to not publish both bad and good reviews. If I had read my review I would have saved myself the hassle.

Disappointed in them on this.

What good is a review if they don't publish it? Sorry about the issue but it's a shame they don't publish all reviews. Fake news!!

I sent a review a few months ago to a vendor who supplies a variety of goods from kitchen cutlery to stones to products for the Edge Pro. My review was relatively neutral...neither gushing nor finger pointing but was a fair depiction of what one might expect with the particular item. It was not published.

Interestingly, my more positive reviews had been published.

While I won't say I won't deal with them in the future, it has certainly given me pause whether I want to support their business going forward.

My take: Don't solicit reviews if you can't handle the truth.

I agree. I rarely write reviews or respond to surveys. However, I was annoyed that a company changed their formulation of a supplement so it had more preservatives and potential allergens.

Not only did they post it, but they sent me a personal email explaining the decision. I won’t buy that supplement again, but at least I felt they deal in good faith concerning balancing and including all reviews.

That's a shame on the case but at least the sharpeners are top notch. Sounds like they sourced out the cases and didn't really do a QC check? That being said, I wouldn't write of the company over a case for the sharpener.

That's a shame on the case but at least the sharpeners are top notch. Sounds like they sourced out the cases and didn't really do a QC check? That being said, I wouldn't write of the company over a case for the sharpener.
Agreed.
My problem with WE (I have never owned one but have been looking at them through a microscope since I became aware of them. I want one but they are just not "There" yet in refinement of the design) . . . is that there isn't a simple, reliable, available method to compensate for stone wear or difference in stone thickness without just trial and error. Where as the Edge Pro Apex has a four dollar stop collar that is brainlessly easy to use and comes WITH the basic sharpener.

That said Josh of Razor Edge Knives swears by WE.
I guess that's enough said.
What do I know.

Wow. Mine is nothing like that. I'm a mechanical engineer and work in machine shops and manufacturing, so I have an eye for detail on these kinds of things. I bought the Go Deluxe system on the holiday sale (so it came all packaged with a deluxe carry case, not a Go system that I added the deluxe case).

Workmanship on the sharpener base, clamp swivel rod ends, threaded rods and the stone blocks is all top quality. The bag is well constructed and none of the same issues described above.

I don't know what CAD pictures are referring to, but then again, I didn't even open the directions. I just set it up and started using it after watching a few videos. It's that intuitive. Now I may go look for the CAD pictures out of curiosity.

Sorry the OP had any issues at all. I did not, and was blown away by the quality. Just one man's experience to the contrary.

I did call them. I called because I thought I figured I had gotten a bad one. They assured me that all the “deluxe” ones had the bottom of the pockets cut this way. The original bag that came with it was very nice. The newer deluxe version is atrocious. The pictures I refer to are the two photos actually on their website page selling the deluxe bag. Pretty hard to miss.

I called them a second time because I didn’t feel like paying shipping was appropriate since the product isn’t what they pictured and it was sub standard. They agreed and sent me a label. It’s been a couple weeks and still no actual refund though. It’s Christmas time though so I will give it some more time before complaining.

I'll check into the refund tomorrow. Normally our policy is to issue those once the product is received back and I don't think we've gotten it yet though we've been swamped for the last 5 weeks so it may have already come in and we just haven't seen it yet.

Last edited:
... The original bag that came with it was very nice. The newer deluxe version is atrocious. The pictures I refer to are the two photos actually on their website page selling the deluxe bag. Pretty hard to miss.

AH! I see what you mean. The photo on the web site is somewhat misleading. It is a nice, computer rendered image. It looks almost like a hard case, very nice, smooth surfaces. The Deluxe case is a soft sided nylon case, sewn with webbing. I get what you mean now. My case is nicely finished, but I see what you mean....

pedropcola, your complaint was the first that we've had out of a couple thousand bags we sent out, so we've been waiting to get the back before posting your review and commenting on it because we wanted to see if it was an isolated issue or something more widespread. The production samples we received, plus all the units I've seen so far look really good, though sadly, we did get a second negative review of the bag this afternoon, and it was along the same lines as yours, so it looks like there might be at least a number of units that weren't well made. As soon as we get your unit back, we'll compare it to our remaining inventory and decide what to do about it e.g. whether we can find others that have issues and pull those or if we have to stop selling that bag until the vendor can send us a new batch of better quality.

I spoke to our operations manager right after she got off the phone with you about the issue and she shared your comments, which seem very well considered and will be helpful in evaluating what to do with the bags. She also shared that the first customer service rep that spoke to you didn't handle the situation well and gave you the wrong information regarding your return. I believe Liz was able to get that part of it set straight though it was really unfortunate that you had to hear the wrong information first and reach out about it. We were able to provide Kyle with some additional training regarding the return of product when a customer decides it's not for them and when the product is defective. I'm sorry for the frustration around that part.

I will definitely post the review, but want to make sure I can see for myself exactly what was wrong with the bag so I can comment appropriately.

I can't ask for more than that. Everyone I dealt with was very nice. I was frustrated mainly because I have two of your GO's and it has quickly become my favorite sharpening system (EP, WorkSharp, Sharpmaker, I own them all and others). The deluxe bag I received just no where comes near the quality of the actual sharpeners. Basically my complaint is that the open pocket corners need to either be tucked in and sewn or the corners sewn. Also, the CAD pictures show a small velcroed pocket. I was looking forward to that because I planned on putting the syringes of diamond paste for my strops in there. But the product has no such pocket.

Thanks for your response though. It is always nice to know the owners are paying attention. Appreciate that.

Pete

No problem Pete. At a minimum, we'll get the product images updated to be accurate. I hadn't even noticed that detail about the velcro and I've probably looked at those pictures many dozens of times... We'll definitely dig into it to make sure that we have a small batch of bad bags or we'll pull the whole line if needed.

I sincerely hope this is an isolated case or a very small number that can be contained. It is otherwise a fantastic product. It's my entry into the world of precision sharpening and I am simply astounded with the quality of the product and the results I've achieved very quickly. I have self-identified as a sharpener with barely-passable skills. Previously my only sharpening system where I have gotten ANY quality results is the Sharpmaker. The WE Go got me immediately to the next level of sharp. Nothing to gain from endorsing any specific product. But happy to share the results.

This reminds me a lot of Jason Stoddard, president of Schiit Audio. They make nice quality, high value, audio equipment that's made in the USA. Jason interacts on an audio forum in a very transparent straightforward way with his customers, much like Clay is doing here. Kudos.

Brian.

Not necessary. Once I get my refund, I'm good. They make a quality product, this one just isn't up to standards. Yet.

Back