Bagwell Bowie

Murindo

Gold Member
Why not bring back the Hell's Belle Bagwell Bowie? Spectacular knife. A limited edition would sell out in pre-order.

I know, Ive missed out on all Ontarios offerings and I'm not sure Bill is making them anymore. I guess my CS Laredo Bowie SM3 will have to do...

Yes, please Ontario, bring back the Hell's Belle and the Fortress! I'd definitely get both. The other day I saw a Fortress put up for sale on another site for $350. It was purchased in minutes before I could even put my cc info in. Are you listening, Ontario? These things will sell like crazy.

I know, Ive missed out on all Ontarios offerings and I'm not sure Bill is making them anymore. I guess my CS Laredo Bowie SM3 will have to do...
Bill is still making them, a little slower than he used to but he's still cranking them out.

Thats a great idea, would love to have one after reading Bill's book recently.
Any info on the steel they were made of ? Never heard of QS13 before and can't seem to find good info.

Or maybe 1095 or 5160 would be preferable, seeing Ontario already uses those steels. I wouldn't mind either

No NO NO. Don't do that. Then my Hell's Belle will depreciate! :p

Make the new ones with a different handle shape, new blade steel, and new logo on the blade. People will buy them and new collectors will be born who will seek out the older blades and the value of your investment will go up.

My understanding is that Bill Bagwell is still making blades but delivery times are long and the prices are what you would expect of the world's premier Bowie maker.

I am also using my CS Laredo as "pacifier" while waiting for a new Ontario Hells Belle :)

Thats a great idea, would love to have one after reading Bill's book recently.
Any info on the steel they were made of ? Never heard of QS13 before and can't seem to find good info.

Or maybe 1095 or 5160 would be preferable, seeing Ontario already uses those steels. I wouldn't mind either

I believe QS13 is just another name for 440A, that being said I would still like to see the Bagwell line brought back in to production.

I've never heard of QS13 either. The originals were made of 440A, from what I know. If Ontario started making them in 5160, all the more reason to get them. 5160 is one of the toughest carbon steels, tougher than 1095. It would be a great choice for a bowie knife. They can coat them to prevent rust, I wouldn't mind the usual black coating. The 440A is stainless steel, so it's rust resistant and has a beautiful polished look but I'm sure it was not as tough as 5160.

Well, 440A is not that bad of a choice for such a knife IMHO. Its is tougher than its B and C brothers and takes a nice edge.
Its a fighting knife, it only needs to stay sharp for a short time anyway. Its not like you'd cut tons of cardboard with a 11" fighting bowie, right :D
But 5160 would be much better of course, a nice patina would look great on this knife.

Yeah, I read somewhere that Bill Bagwell approved of them using 440A. So even though he would not use that steel for his own handmade pieces, he must have been satisfied that it was good enough for production knives with his name on them.

Back