Bailout M4 HRC and rolled edges

Skidoosh

Gold Member
I just picked up a bailout in M4, stunning knife. I'm a big fan of M4 but in doing some cutting on wood I rolled the edge quite quickly. HRC is listed as 62-64 but the rolling makes me think its a bit softer than that. Has anyone else had issues with rolling? I sharpened it right back but in other M4 I have used it hasn't behaved like this.

My guess is it’s just the factory edge that was sharpened too thin. My bailout edge is solid but it’s been sharpened. See if it does it after you get rid of the factory edge.

I just sharpened it, the edge is better but not shaving sharp. I've run through the angles and I know how to sharpen but it doesn't seem to get as sharp as other m4 knives I have

That's strange, don't have that issue with my bailout or my freek or M4 bugout. Did you buy from a reputable dealer? Just want to rule out clones/fakes.

Maybe a bad batch? You could contact benchmade and see what they say

It is genuine as far as I can tell and from other benchmades that I have owned. I may reach out to them and ask

It is genuine as far as I can tell and from other benchmades that I have owned. I may reach out to them and ask
I doubt anyone would admit they sold a fake, do you have any pictures you can post? Preferably the box as well as the markings on the blade

See what you think

Attachments

• IMG_8794.jpeg
    IMG_8794.jpeg
    532.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8795.jpeg
    IMG_8795.jpeg
    689.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8796.jpeg
    IMG_8796.jpeg
    498.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8797.jpeg
    IMG_8797.jpeg
    564.9 KB · Views: 34
See what you think
Looks like it's legit so not sure why you are having issues, curious if there was a bad batch, if you had access to it being Rockwell tested and it came up soft you could get a replacement, might be able to even call benchmade and let them know what your issue is and see what they say, not sure what they will do or say but they have always been pretty decent to their customers if there are any issues

I love this knife; it's fantastic. Although, I switched the clip for an arrow clip, which Benchmade sent me for free.

Reactions: DMG
Wasn't the first run of the bailout run really soft? is it possible it's an old stock one? Or am I remembering wrong?

Wasn't the first run of the bailout run really soft? is it possible it's an old stock one? Or am I remembering wrong?
If I recall correctly, the issues were with the early runs of the initial polymer version of the Bailout in 3v. Less than ideal heat treat for that steel, if I recall correctly, and I think I heard they adjusted it. I have no experience with that iteration, but I have sharpened a friend’s M4 before, and recently picked one up for myself. I have seen no noticeable problems so far, at least with the only two examples I’ve handled.

I just got one. It actually has the best edge out of the box of any of the Benchmades I have. I haven't used it enough to tell how well the edge will hold up. The angle looks a bit acute though.

If I recall correctly, the issues were with the early runs of the initial polymer version of the Bailout in 3v. Less than ideal heat treat for that steel, if I recall correctly, and I think I heard they adjusted it. I have no experience with that iteration, but I have sharpened a friend’s M4 before, and recently picked one up for myself. I have seen no noticeable problems so far, at least with the only two examples I’ve handled.
Thanks for the correction, I'd forgotten that it was originally released in 3v, not M4

Back