Baked Cheese

Thought I’d share family favorite that always a hit at parties. If you give it a try, let us know how it went! All you need is an oven, a baking sheet, some parchment paper, and cheese. Which cheeses you use matters. Cheddar is the foundation all baked cheese is built upon. We prefer to use sliced Sargento cheese. Ultra-Thin is the easiest to work with, as you need only break slice into four pieces. Regular slices (not Ultras-Thin) need to be broken into smaller pieces. Cheeses like Gouda or Edam don’t contain enough oil to bake properly. We bake those directly after a batch of cheddar, placing the pieces in the leftover cheddar oil on the parchment paper. Different cheeses bake at different speeds. You must keep a watchful eye as you bake. Your final product can be melty, crispy, or well done depending on how long you leave them in. Experiment! I’d guess maybe around ten minutes a batch, but don’t quote me on that. We go by looks not time. They will be different fresh from the oven, after they cool down, and the following day. You’ll see what I mean. Stinky cheese makes the place stinky, and going to feel greasy when you finish. The picture below contains most everything you need to know. Oven is at 325 F. The regular cheddar is on the baking sheet, about to be baked. The finished pieces are all Ultr-Thin, both cheddar and Colby Jack. Some cheeses, such as Colby and pepper Jack, tend to brown more than others. We stack the baked cheese between pieces paper towels, like bacon. When everything cools down, I usually fold some paper towels into an envelope of sorts, slide that into a ziplock bag, put the cheese inside of the paper towel envelope, and seal it up. Get on it, doggone it!

PoLQvpd.jpg

Disclaimer : All credit to the other half. Praise the other half! All hail the other half!!

Nice! I always like cheese in any form. Looks like you're making almost like a cheese crisp!

I live melty gooey cheese, so while a true raclette cheese restaurant doesn't exist where we are, we try to make do at home with a table-top candle melter. Plop that melty cheese on some toasted baguette or pickles.... Yummy!

I used to make my own cheese toasted as a kid too. Kraft slices on white bread, and stick it in the toaster oven. Felt like I was a world-class chef!

Cheese is life. And we need some good Busse or Swamp Rat to process them!

Back