~~BALANCE~~

Ok, so I can see where it's obvious to someone if the bali latch works or not, and it's pretty easy to tell if the handles are alligned or not, and whether or not a blade is loose (judging from the other two tests), but what makes a bali "BALANCED"?

I've been finding the balance point on a few of my balis, and it seems that for my 42, PC68, and PC custom 4", that the balance point is right around the second set of double handle holes from the pivot pins, open.
And right around the third set, closed.

Is there any objective way to tell if a bali is "balanced" or is it all subjective to the user?
Are there any exceptionally off balanced balisongs?

This one might qualify, it's aluminum inserts with bone handles make it really light compared to the blade.
View

Pretty hard to flip!

but is there any optimum balance?

As far as optimum balance, I don't know. But that bali is super cool man.

For regular folding knives, I think that a good balance point is right around where you said that the 42's is. I'll take your word for it as I really don't want to run upstairs to get mine to make sure. But it sounds like it's in the correct spot.

------------------
Steve
(Third Mate for hire!)

Hmm..to me balance is a personal thing.If the knife feels good in my hand and can perform a few certain tricks,then I'm willing to get the knife.But,if it feels uncomfortable,or refuses to do the standard tests I give it,then I won't bother with it.
The knife has to have an all around "feel" to it.I don't care if it's perfectly "balanced" in the normal definition,since that kind of balance makes very little difference in my manipulations.

------------------
*The* Lunatic Puppy
It wasn't me...It was my *good* twin..
My "inner puppy" made me do it..

I'll have to go with the crowd on this one, that's it's a personal thing... but weight in a bali is a weird topic anyway, since it affects both how the open blade will feel, and will probably have a noticable effect on how the manipulations flow. I'm not a knife-juggling connoisseur, but just going from 42 to Jag POS is a very noticable adjustment...

second blade hole sounds about right... usually if a knife is blade-heavy, it'll be harder to handle as a knife, just as it would if it were really handle-heavy (like my Jag, I'd say

Generally, IMHO, having the balance point a wee bit forward of your palm when you're holding the knife is about optimal... Usual Suspect Don might have a little more to say, would be my guess, since he sounds more familiar with what to do after the knife is actually open... but a balanced blade is usually easier to control.

It was an Ebay find. I got it about 6 months ago. I've seen another one that was almost identical that someone else here at the forums has.

Hey guys and gals,

I still haven't heard from some of the resident "experts" about the balance issue.

Dawkind, what have you learned with your experience making balis?

Sniperboy? Clay? Gollnick? You all have handled (probably) hundreds of balis, and I'm sure that some are better balanced than others.

Is there an equation to find the handle/blade weight ratio? But more importantly, is there an "optimum ratio"?

Back