wink.gif

I second the video!

Hey you need to learn how to type!!

FLY GUY

Yes, yes...a video please!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Catch you on the flip side"!

A master? hhmmmm... How long have you been training. In the style of Taekwondo that I train in it takes atleast 18 years.

What do you think?
wink.gif

------------------
Chung San

Butterfly Knife Exchange
www.butterflyknifeexchange.com
"A new kind of balisong store"

I wonder if he's better than Jeff Imada???
I fourth the video we could compare it to Clay and anyone else who feels they can offer a chalange!!!
Many people on the foum have been fliping for MUCH MORE THAN 3 YEARS!!!
mad.gif

Yeah, yeah, sure, sure...

Talk is cheap.

The idea of a video is nice, but I still want suggestions about how to organize some sort of formal competition. It's only on the floor that we can really find you who's got the juice.

In thinking about this today, one thing stood out: stylistic differences. Consider, for example, Clay and me. Clay is very percussive with a lot of ricochets and flips, a lot of rhythm. It's amazing to just listen as Clay works his free-style. He even get's into syncopated stuff, half-beats, it's just amazing. This isn't surprising. He's a drummer too, you know. He calls his stuff a "machine gun".

I, on the other hand, personally like to be very smooth and flowing in my free-style. A lot of spins, a lot of twirls, a lot of finger whips, that sort of thing. I like to say, "steel turns to water" as the knife seems to flow through my hands.

I am not, I repeat AM NOT, trying to even suggest that one approach is better than the other. I know very well that Clay can do all of teh spins and twirls and whips better than I can. It's just personality coming through. I think it's wonderful.

Monet and Daumier are very different painters but one can admire both of them.

But, it does create the question of how to judge between two contestants who have different personalities and, therefore, different balisong styles. Of course, balisong manipulation won't be the only sport to face such challenges. So, let's here some ideas about how to organize and conduct such a contest.

------------------
Chuck
Balisongs -- because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
http://www.balisongcollector.com

Here is a suggestion.

Three judges scoring an overall routine. The scale is 0 to 9. 9 obviously is the best. 6,7,8 are above aaverage 5 is average. 2,3,4 are below average. 1 is complete second attempt. 0 is an incomplete. In the case of a tie each competitor will complete their routine again with a 30 sec. freestyle done at the end.

Manipulation will be judged on Memorization, proper technique, speed, and maybe even power depending on the techniques. Judging should be based on these things in order.(for example proper technique is more important than speed)

If the balisong is dropped there will be a 1 point deduction. If it is not picked up in a fancy manner there will be a 2 point deduction.

A routine could be decided here at the forum. For example lets say we decide on 30 techniques. Next we could all vote on the order that they should be completed in. A routine should also be decided for single and double balisong. There should also be seperate routines for beginner, intermediate, and advanced. This way ALL balisong lovers will feel welcomed to participate.

All routines could be posted by video clip or videos could be made.

Having the same group compete with the same routine is important so that we are comparing apples to apples and not oranges to oranges.

Personality will be shown through how the technique is completed. For example I bet we all do a horizontal opening just a little different. Differentiallity will also show through rhythm, power, and speed.

Registration fees could be charged to cover costs, make money, or even prizes.

I have all other aspects of my idea covered. I just do not want to make this post any longer than it allready is.

I'm pretty excited. Please let me know what you think.

------------------
Chung San

Butterfly Knife Exchange
www.butterflyknifeexchange.com
"A new kind of balisong store"

Chuck makes a good point. Whether you are alittle bit country or a little bit rock and roll is not definitive of skill level, but should be taken into consideration.

The scoring should just about mirror that of Olympic Figure Skating. One routine, two scores. One score for technical merit based on required elements within the routine, and one for artistic impression... where the presentation of the elements comes into play.

Terrific idea, Gollnick. I was playing with the idea of making it to the Eugene show; Now it looks like I'll make it a priority to attend.

The idea of a video contest sounds pretty cool to me, but i got this funny feeling that we may never hear from our buddy Coalsmith again. Or at very least, some intriguing fellow with "0" posts will show up someday, with a lot of enthusiasm. It made me laugh even harder to see today that he had posted the same thing in the general blade discussion forum. now at least EVERYBODY knows who the master is
wink.gif

So let me get this straight first, there has never been any 'competition 'or workshop of such things for balisong enthusiast ever existed yet ever in the U.S. yet while in a knife show or something? everythng in the U.S. has a society of somesort and even competition, even collecting cola cans!!!!! why not a balisong.?

Balisong manufacturers i n the U.S.?

May I know who are the manufactureres of balisong in theU.S. and their websites if there is ? Any magazine solely dedicted for thebaslsiong enthusisasts/trade,? Im wondering if theres such exist ,now or in the past. And if in case this seems to be stupid question to some degree, , sorry, Pls. Forgive, Im just new to this forum.Tahnk you.

Benchmade currently makes all of their products at their facility in Oregon City, Oregon. They have, in the past, imported some of their lower-end products, but are not doing that right now. I have seen the very line where the BM42s are assembled.

------------------
Chuck
Balisongs -- because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
http://www.balisongcollector.com

I've got about 2 to 3 weeks of Bali-song training under my belt,, and I'm preety sure I'm the best in my household!
smile.gif

Never posted here before but I gotta say one thing for trolls, they make posts to piss people off and sometimes probably much to their dislike end up having their post become a constuctive/instuctive one. It's allso kinda funny that this "person", child? is getting all these posts in his E-mail filling it up with posts that are as I said constuctive instead of destructive. Looks like the people in this forum have a better understanding of matureity than most other forums. Well done gentlemen.

Just wondering, was/is the balisong basically the Phillipino folder, all around general work knife like the Buck 110 is to us?

Before going to Philippine I was told most Filipinos carry balisongs. While staying there for two weeks last year, mainly in Manila, I was told many people from Batangas carry balisongs and never have them upset. In Batangas, I was told the habit is an old story. It's a resort area now, and the habit is left only among barrios (villages). There in barrio balisong I found souvenir balisong shop. The clerks didn't seem to be familiar in manipualting balisongs than I.
Buck 110 is a good analogy. Though it's very popular, how many people in your neighbourhood have one, carry one? More and more will think of it as a scary big deadly weapon now...

------------------
(T_T) ...crying
\(^o^)/ ...cheerful
(ToT) ...crying
Mizutani Satoshi

Where would one find a picture of a Buck 110? When I get a new computer I am making sure it comes with AV ports so that I can capture video of some of my routines and hopefully put it somewhere on the internet, my parents said that it is too much to go to Oregon just for a knife show
frown.gif
I hope mr. coalsmith comes back on and responds to the challenge
wink.gif

I have only been manipulating balisongs for almost a year (I got my first balisong the Christmas of '99) and, while I am somewhat skilled (IMHO), I know that it will be a very long time before I am the master, I probably will never be the master, but that is ok because I'm not in it to be the best of everyone, I'm in it to enjoy myself and learn new things.

------------------
Cameron

011.gif
"Look deep, deep inside and you will find a place of anger, vengeance, and brutality. Go there. It is your last hope to conquer the truly wicked."
uriel.gif

A few of my balisongs
My Photopoint album

Brothers & Sisters of Steel,
I had handcrafted a beautiful proposal regarding knife competion, judges and a knife-fighting board along with rules and recommendations only to have my system "burp", lock-up and die.
If y'al are serious I'll reconstruct the plan and forward it to a moderator or two. Balis, bayonets, sword, kukri - well, begin with a vivid imagination and profusely expound upon it. (You'll get the picture!)
Regards,
Lance Gothic
Shibumi

I can't believe you fellows are responding to this troll. I'll admit, he's a subtle troll but, methinks, a troll nonetheless.

Back