Balisong -- Le Couteau Papillon

Gollnick

Musical Director
I just received my copy of Guillaume's new book.

Once you get past Guillaume on the front cover in this rather exagerated stance with the knife raised over his head, the book is quite interesting.

My ability to puzzle my way through some French comes entirely from Spanish. These two romance languages have enough it common that I can make out some of it.

A good deal of this book is spent on combative applications of the balisong.

A good selection of manipulations are presented with sparse pictures.

The pictures are excellent. With the exception of the cover, all are black and white, but they are very well-done including several of aerial techniques catching the knife in mid-air. These are clearly done with large photoflashes. These are difficult pictures and very well-done.

One picture is printed backwards (the negative reversed), but I'll leave it to you to spot it.

Clay's work shows up nicely as several of his sheaths are show.

I'm stil struggling with the text. As you might guess, I agree with his presentation of the history suggesting a European origin. But, I do have to say that he gives a very ballance presentation not neglecting the Filipino history of these knives and not insisting on a European history.

There's some good information in here too about some of the old brands. I'm trying to read it as we speak.

It looks to me like Guillaume has taken quite a bit of time and care to write a well-organized book that's a good contribution to the short list of balisong-related books available.

Congratulations Guillaume.

Thank you very much, Chuck.

Even if you can't read all the details in the text, particularly the history part, I can confirm that I did not focus too much on the European influence. I mention the "Pied-du-roy" because to me, it's the oldest "balisong-concept" knife ever found (1790, France). But even if the concept existed in Europe before the Philippines (and we're not sure), we have to admit that the balisong, both the word and the development of this knife is the work of the Philippines people. It would be extremely chauvinistic to assert that the famous balisong as known and practiced today comes from Europe :)

Regarding the cover, I know that either you like it, either you hate it. It is very difficult to do a cover. We tried many possibilities. At first, I didn't want to be on the cover. But our tries of covers without anyone pictured were very poor, "cheap",... no life. This photo was expressing something. The publisher liked it at first sight (he's used to self-defence stuff). There's a violent aspect, I have to admit. But the goal is not to associate violence to balisong, and this is extremly well explained by words, on the back-cover and within the book (foreword+many advertisements). The goal of this photo is to catch people's attention in the libraries. Not to scare them :)
Your comments are very welcome, because they help me for next works, photos choices.

Regarding the pix, yes, it was done by a professional photographer with large photoflashes (we did 3 sessions, 2 in a studio, 1 in a parking for self-defence atmosphere). He is the photographer of the martial arts magazine edited by the same publisher. We're used to work together and he does excellent job. You can see his photo work here : http://www.johannvayriot.com.

Aerostar, here is your reply:
http://www.balisong.net/en/book.htm
(or email carine.colonna@europ-mag.com)

Guillaume

Back