bamboo spined neck knife

Here is a small blade made yesterday out of a used-up Nicholson flat bastard file. Been seeing a fair bit of bamboo referenced here and there lately, so thought to try it out along the spine of a simple necker. Anyone got thoughts on surface treatment for file steel knives? I've a slim one I carry as a food and general utility blade, and find the surface stains rather too easily. Live with it? Or is there a practical alternative?

bamboo.jpg

Wow, that's outstanding. I'd just force a patina on it, or, if you want to have a color to it instead of a polished metal look, duracoat it.

When you say 'force a patina' - any tips on where I might read up on techniques? I've sometimes used nitric acid to 'age' boxwood fittings on instruments, and any old acid helps make bronze or brass look older. Same for this? It'd be nice to know of a table of sorts, with different chemicals or cocktails described resulting in predictable finishes on high carbon steels. I know nothing of duracoat, but it sounds like the sort of camo or anti-reflective finish found on military knives. Don't think that's what I'd want for this, which is more of a gent's knife. Something old looking would be good, especially if it helped resist rust. I've found waxes don't really protect for long.

Anything acidic will patina carbon steel. I think if you were to ask the patina question in the Traditional forums here, you'd get plenty of experience. They deal with carbon and forced patinas quite often, and should be able to help you out.

I shouldn't have asked. Bit of a search is turning up loads of answers all over these forums and on the web generally, so lots of demonstrations to choose from. For what it's worth, just tried boric acid... no change in the surface at all. Trying vinegar now.

Vinegar should work, and I've personally used lemon and lime juice, which seems to put a relatively light patina on if you don't let it sit for too long. I've also seen ketchup used to good effect. The boric acid might not've worked, but vinegar, lemon/lime juice, and ketchup should definitely work.

Okay, I've messed around a bit with vinegar (not much change, but a general greying), then mustard brushed over that (some streaking but still subtle), then finally a nice Peruvian mandarin orange (oh MAN are they ever sweet this time of year!) which I was going to eat anyway. Stuck the blade into the orange for about 10 minutes. No significant change... and then I just wanted the orange too badly to wait.

Maybe I'll try something else another time. For now this is somewhat satisfying. Rubbed the patina up to a halfway decent gloss with some 0000 steel wool, as it came out rather dull. Sharpened on a Japanese 4000grit stone. Somewhat satisfying finish, but time will make it more authentic.

bamboo_with_patina.jpg

That should at least make it resist staining and rusting, and I personally like the finish. Nice work.

Thanks for the compliments and helpful suggestions guys. I've made a few knives now, in no two even remotely similar. Thinking of heading off on a rather different tangent in a serious way next, since seeing a bunch of knives by Hidetoshi Nakayama yesterday. The bamboo shaping along a spine of one of his pocketknives (one shown in great detail here - http://www.synobyte.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66353 - both as a finished knife and on page 2 taking one through the process) kicked me off making this little guy. Not a patch on that kind of workmanship of course, but worth going after. I've made a handful of dragons in years gone by, mostly commissioned. Some other animals besides, some as netsuke, some on sturdy staffs. Time to make a knife along those lines and see where it takes me. This knife stuff is fun! Oh, right, back to working on a doublebass...

Depending on the price, your bamboo spined neck knife is something I'd possibly be interested in buying. I really like the look. Nice work!

Do you have pictures of the other stuff you've done?

That Nakayama is a work of art, but for a using knife I love this one that you've made.

James

I'm not sure that price enters into things for this one. Nor any other so far, as I've not sold a knife so far. Does anyone else here find it difficult to part with a knife you've just made? Anyway, prices listed on websites seem to vary rather wildly. It's hard to guess where to place what I've been fiddling with. If I were to charge based on my normal hourly rate - $50/hour for repairs to instruments - the prices might well get higher than anyone would want to pay. Tend to fuss and tinker until I'm happy with a thing, which considering I'm not really tooled up for metalwork means a lot of hand labour. Not very efficient. I'll think about that part. Maybe you could pm me and we could discuss that off the record?

I've a few other pictures. This long dagger I posted elsewhere here, in the 'serious fighter' thread though now I'm not so sure that was right. I'm working on a different pommel solution for this as the big orb of bronze seems rather too heavy, in feel and in looks. A thin wafer of rounded over micarta and then a finial type steel point are coming together... but won't be sure about that 'til it's done. The handle is narwhal tooth, something a friend gave me long ago and I recently turned for this. The blade is the 'serious dagger' model from knifekits.com though I modified the profile a little (didn't like the swell near the front) and carved away the rear of the grind into something a lot more graceful. Don't much like stress risers. Modded the shape of the hidden tang a lot for the same reason. The sheath is kydex, kind of a snug fit, with thin dark red leather glued and sewed over it. There's a vertical carry belt loop integral to the kydex, but I've added a swiveling belt loop for more practical carry angles. It can ride at any angle, won't fall out upside-down, with the bolt running into a steel plate brazed to a nut inside the original belt loop.

long_dagger.jpg

long_dagger_sheathed.jpg

Then there's this little damascus dagger bought from an eBay seller called Two Finger Knives. Re-shaped that a bit too, as it was slightly more pointy than I liked, too delicate. The handle is ebony with silver wafers at each end, the guard carved brass and the pommel silicon bronze.

dagger_beside_sheath.jpg

And I bought a fairly common type boot dagger blade from a local guy, made a micarta handle for it and pinned that with bamboo.

boot_dagger.jpg

There's a tiny keychain karambit I made out of another old file. Gave this one to my little brother for his last birthday. A lot of carving on this one leaving the blade quite thin, maybe 1.5mm near the spine. I was thinking during this one it'd be nice to be able to forge something like this rather than carve it. Thinking it more with this bamboo one. I wonder if the guy at damascususa.com is considering such stuff? I'd be happy to work something out for him to use one of my carvings. Then again, the appeal might not go too far and I'm sure his costs on making a die set are fairly steep.

small_karambit.jpg

I've made a couple of others but not really worth showing.

Gerard , you could blue it ( your new file knife ) with gun bluing solution , then gently steel wool with extra fine to your desired color... if you dont like it you can always remove it.

Nice work !

Thanks. I've read about bluing a bit, but haven't ever been into a gun shop... There's one a few blocks from where I live. Creeps me out a bit, like I might get tossed out for not having a permit or something. Totally foreign territory to me. But might be worth the minor stress to see what's available.

At my wife's prompting I modified the pommel a bit on that narwhal handled dagger. I'll just stop fussing with that one, getting nowhere. Made a smaller stainless pommel and spacer for it yesterday but it looked silly. Time to move on.

narwhal_dagger_second_pommel.jpg

The pommel improvement is exactly that-immence improvement!! I just tried putting my thumb over most of the Pomel, and leaving only the first "bevel" ( closest to the handle of course )-and that looks good too.
Well done!

Further to the bamboo theme... I made another blade today. Same length but from a rather smaller Nicholson smooth file. The blade profile is borrowing rather heavily from Hidetoshi Nakiyama's folder blades, and the grind is Japanese style in that there is virtually no bevel, mostly flat from the spine to the edge. The result slides through paper almost without effort - I can cut 2mm wide slices in the air rapidly, making paper spaghetti. Cuts wood nicely enough too so it seems the edge is durable for such a small guy. Must have nailed the temper at a pale straw.

The handle is boxwood harvested 18 years ago here in Vancouver. Cut the blade bamboo joints first, then after fitting the scales carved them to match. Rubbed with a few different pigments to stain to a dark old worn look.

small_boxwood_bamboo_knife.jpg

small_boxwood_bamboo_knife-handle.jpg

... and after a bit more tinkering with the finish, and a kydex necker sheath, here's the finished second bamboo knife:

small_boxwood_bamboo_knife_with_sheath.jpg

Back