• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Band saw blades for knife makers

Mark Knapp

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I have up-graded my membership to "Dealer" so lets see how this works. I am a Lenox Band Saw Blade distributor. I stock all sizes of bladestock and cut and weld for any saw. I have carbon blades for wood, Bi-metal for tough materials like Corian, Micarta, bone , ivory and tool steel. I also have carbide tooth and carbide grit for the really hard stuff, like hardened steel and mammoth teeth. I ship anywhere, and only charge actual shipping, I use US priority mail. I have four saws myself, I have cut a lot of stuff and I am happy to answer any bandsaw questions.

Last edited:
I have a Delta Shop Master. I'm told to cut liner material such as .040 stainless (approx.) I need a blade 20-24 teeth per inch....can that same blade be used to cut hardwood, Micarta, G10, etc. (tuff stuff)?
Thanks,
Rg

Maybe you can answer this for me. I am using a Rigid 14'' band saw that I have replaced the motor on. I put a 1hp baldor motor with a freq drive hooked to it, for speed control.

Here's the problem, I purchased an 18tpi blade at Industrial Supply and tried it out last night, it barely scratched the 1/4 mild steel I tried to cut with it. I had it slowed way down, but I'm wondering if its the blade, or is the saw going to fast? I have no idea what brand blades they use. (I'm not sure how they could sell them if they don't cut??)

I'm going to order a diemaster II from you once I figure out if this thing will work:confused:

Thanks for any help.

Would do well if you sold old bandsaw blades that are 15n20 at least 1 inch wide or wider. Guys who make Damascus would buy them from you.

Mark-

I think that you need to go to the user CP, group memberships and select the proper listing for the membership. You are still showing as a knifemaker..
Not trying to be an arse, but wanted to let you know how to do it if you were not aware already :)

I have a Delta Shop Master. I'm told to cut liner material such as .040 stainless (approx.) I need a blade 20-24 teeth per inch....can that same blade be used to cut hardwood, Micarta, G10, etc. (tuff stuff)?
Thanks,
Rg

Yep, you will need a Bi-metal blade, you will want to slow your band saw down to the slowest speed for stainless (stainless work hardens fast). You can use the same blade for all the handle materials you mentioned , speed the saw back up to about mid speed, otherwise it will take you all day. If you have a lot of handle material to cut or are going to split scales you may want to get a blade with bigger teeth because the gullets on the fine pitch blades fill up fast and slow down the cut. Don't breath any of that stuff.

Last edited:
Maybe you can answer this for me. I am using a Rigid 14'' band saw that I have replaced the motor on. I put a 1hp baldor motor with a freq drive hooked to it, for speed control.

Here's the problem, I purchased an 18tpi blade at Industrial Supply and tried it out last night, it barely scratched the 1/4 mild steel I tried to cut with it. I had it slowed way down, but I'm wondering if its the blade, or is the saw going to fast? I have no idea what brand blades they use. (I'm not sure how they could sell them if they don't cut??)

I'm going to order a diemaster II from you once I figure out if this thing will work:confused:

Thanks for any help.

When you are cutting any metal the bandsaw needs to be running very slow, 50-150 surface feet per minute, you should be able to see the wheel turning if you open the upper door (not just a blur). Metal cutting blades are sold in three styles, carbon, Bi-metal and carbide tooth. If your blade was gun-metal blue, it was a carbon blade (bandsaws are almost always shipped with carbon blades), you will do better with Bi-metal (manufacturers say they last ten times longer, I believe them). Carbide teeth are not an option in this case.

Last edited:
Would do well if you sold old bandsaw blades that are 15n20 at least 1 inch wide or wider. Guys who make Damascus would buy them from you.

I use a lot of old bandsaw blade stock for damascus, none of it is 15N20, though. If anybody wants some to try, let me know.

Mark-

I think that you need to go to the user CP, group memberships and select the proper listing for the membership. You are still showing as a knifemaker..
Not trying to be an arse, but wanted to let you know how to do it if you were not aware already :)

Hi bhyde, Yep, I did that, I used Paypal to make my payment, the office says it takes up to 72 hours for it to show on the forum because it is a manual thing for them. I always try to do things the right way:D

Back