Bandsaw q + a

I've been looking for a good bandsaw to help me with profiling. I've read about and landed on the idea of the dewalt porta-band. Good idea, bad idea? My only question with the dewalt is a stand and blades. Are there any ready made stands for this saw that i can just buy? I'm not really set up to build one myself so I'd rather just buy one. And could someone post an actual link to good blades for cutting 1/8" stainless blade stock? I've not been able to find any. Also if there is another suggestion for a larger stand-up, metal cutting capable, vertical bandsaw I'd be all ears. Thanks boys

I second the MK Morse blades. Excellent.
You can also have a look at Femi hem saws and their table.
If I had a little more floor space I would get a real and heavy floor standing band saw with cast iron table and what not. Like a Fuho. Damn.

Last edited:
I have been using a Dewalt portaband on a SWAG table for many years to cut profiles, pins, bolster material, handle material, everything. I use Milwaukie blades from the Depot cause there is one right across the road from the ranch. They are OK. The Lennox blades are better from Lowe's but I get a A LOT of steel cut with the others as I have to go "down the hill" to get the Lennox. I use 14 tpi to cut the steel and 10 tpi for handle materials. Lots of steel:

u2X1Dwx.jpg

Damascus and AEB-L are the two main steels I work with:

0EBWp0e.jpg

The wife does much of the blade cutting:

XKKNloC.jpg

9wG1QWi.jpg

aqRg8Zq.jpg

Sometimes she just rides up to check on me to make sure I'm not goofing off and still working. I gave away the freestanding bandsaw in this pic cause I just didn't use it anymore. The Dewalt on the SWAG completely replaced it.

BSP2MU9.jpg

My daughter will also cut blades for me:

eSB20lj.jpg

I use this outfit to cut up everything:

DCXnUEt.jpg

How did you fit that deer into the Portaband?

Two massive elk sheds, a matched set. Cut off the tines first, then cut the main beams into sections, then cut the sections into slabs. Usually a few slabs in the tines too.

Porta-bands are a great option, especially with something like a swag table. I have an old old porter cable with a homemade stand and table, and although the cutting capacity is quite a bit smaller than the newer deep throat porta-bands you can get now days, I'm not sure there's ever been anything I couldn't figure out how to profile out on it (knife related that is).

All that said, I did pick up a used vertical/horizontal Wellsaw that also gets a lot of use. It came with a table that bolts on in the vertical position and gives a lot of extra "elbow room" than the portaband. I still use the portaband for quick little jobs, but the Wellsaw handles all the larger stuff, and it's really nice to be able to cut various materials to length by just clamping them in the horizontal position and walking away while the saw does the work.

The Harbor Freight vertical/horizontal isn't a terrible option, although I paid about the same (actually a little less) for my Wellsaw as what a new HF saw currently costs. You do get a little more cutting capacity, longer blades, and the horizontal capabilities with a vertical/horizonal. It may take up a little more shop space, but you can roll it around easy enough. Maybe take a look at Craigslist, and I see used saws of various brands for $250 or less quite often.

i have a full size jet 8201 variable speed bandsaw, and a portaband on a swag table. i could do everything with either of them and be happy. they both work well, i never cut any steel thicker than 1/4". no need to buy the $1000+ saw in my opinion.

I've been looking for a good bandsaw to help me with profiling. I've read about and landed on the idea of the dewalt porta-band. Good idea, bad idea? My only question with the dewalt is a stand and blades. Are there any ready made stands for this saw that i can just buy? I'm not really set up to build one myself so I'd rather just buy one. And could someone post an actual link to good blades for cutting 1/8" stainless blade stock? I've not been able to find any. Also if there is another suggestion for a larger stand-up, metal cutting capable, vertical bandsaw I'd be all ears. Thanks boys
I use the Bauer and Swag combo as well. It was a recent purchase and it works amazingly. The only caveat is that it only has 4” of clearance. That means that if you are trying to make a 4.5” cut you will have to come in from the other side. I make 8” kitchen knives with 5” handles so I am constantly juggling. But for the money it’s professional, sturdy, and cuts amazingly cool.

Don't buy a cheap offshore benchtop bandsaws - that's all I know. I got a Wen, and I hate it. So much blade drift I can't seem to sort out that I end up just cutting scales out by hand. The powertec, harborfreight, ryobi, skil, etc... all look about the same. I wouldn't buy any of em' - lesson learned.

The bauer i have is junk lasted bout 3 months. Went through both sets of brushes and hf does not have any parts at all for it.

no need to buy the $1000+ saw

Hey John, need is only what drives us half the time, right :D I currently have my eyes on a brand new floor standing geared head drill press. Do I neccesarily need it to make better knives? Heck no. Do I want it? Ooh yeah.

The Dewalt 6" variable speed has really been good to me. I have cut 1,000s and 1,000s of blades out on it. I use to say it would be the one tool I would replace right away if it ever died. Well couple years ago it did happen. It died, didn't even try fixing it. Made the two hour roundtrip down the hill and got a new one that day. Ya'd be surprised how may other little things ya use it for besides knife making. A buddy stopped by a few months ago to borrow it for a few minutes as he was making a pair of spurs:

2W3kCP5.jpg

8M3IdvV.jpg

zqNJuwE.jpg

He traded me these damascus buckles for letting him use my shop tools for a bit:

ok3h6cC.jpg

IxU5fJ2.jpg

Never did see em finished. Paulie is pretty nomadic.

Back