Bark River Camping Knife Recommendation

Hello everyone,

This is my first thread created and so I hope this is in the correct place. I'm hoping to gain some knowledge from everyone out there who is probably a lot more intelligent when it comes to fixed blades. I currently collect a good amount of folders (ZT, Spyderco, Benchmade etc.) but have decided to be smarter about how I use my knives, specifically while out camping. I used to use a Kershaw folder for every task but realized this is not efficient and not good for the knife. I don't have a single fixed blade in the collection yet. I want to get myself a good quality fixed blade for camping, specifically to be used for prepping food along with some other tasks. I've narrowed it down to getting a Bark River, as I love the style of these and I have read great things about the quality.

So for those of you out there who own fixed blades including a Bark River and have experience using them out camping or prepping food, which ones are your favorite? I'm looking for one that has a blade steel that can constantly get wet, cleans pretty well and retains a nice edge. I would like the blade to be around 4.5 - 5.5 inches. Price is not really an issue but I would like to keep it under $300.00.

Thanks!

Sounds like you want a Bravo 1 (their most popular knife I think) in A2 steel. I would check out that line, there are multiple variations and lengths and steels and whatever you could want (including "hunter" models that have thinner grinds for slicing better). In that size range I will also suggest my personal favorite, the Blackjack model 125 Heavy Hunter (made by Bark River). If youre planning on chopping/splitting wood with it, the best model is...an axe. Just get an old axe. Theyre a lot cheaper to replace when they break than a Bark River is ;) lol As far as steel goes, I like A2. It isnt fully stainless, its tool steel. It gets little dark spots on it but it wont rust too easily. I use A2 for hunting uses, and it works great. Thats my 2 cents, good luck. :)

I have to disagree about the Bravo 1. As beautiful a knife as it is, the thickness makes it absolutely terrible for many cutting tasks, especially food prep. Even the Bravo LT is still 3/16" thick. I bought one after reading article after article on how great they were. Watched many videos on how they were the perfect outdoor knife. Then I tried using it and could not get past the thickness of the grind. Thin behind the edge, sure, but quickly ballooning to unacceptable thickness. I think many of these reviews enjoyed it because it is thinner behind the edge than most factory knives. But when you are cutting more than 1/4" deep, that meaty blade rapidly wedges itself in whatever you are cutting.
The Bravo 1 LTe is double the thickness of my recomendation...

I use a Bark River Mountain Man 5". Mine is in 3V with micarta scales. The knife is thinner than most outdoor oriented blades these days at 0.092". This knife excels in doing what knives are made for... Cutting. Meat cutting, veggie cutting, hot dog stick whittling, skinning and dressing wild meat, slicing fish, spreading peanut butter... This knife does it all well. If I set it down, I find others reaching for it.

The classic design is appreciated by many. The neutral handle is excellent in many grips. The micarta gives good traction when covered in blood, fat or wet.

A sufficiently thin knife is a joy to use. If you are nervous about buying a thin knife, steal a paring knife from the kitchen drawer. Sharpen it as you would your outdoor knives and go replicate a bunch of your camping tasks. As long are you aren't beating the knife through a piece of knotty wood, you will likely find that thin, tiny blade completes most of your tasks. Thin knives are what I use for cutting. Axes are what I use for rougher work.

Last edited:
I have the Bark River Wilderness Explorer in Cruwear (steel). It's 5.75". It is a carbon steel, so you should wipe it down periodically and not store it wet. I like the Kephart design and quite satisfied with the Kabar Becker BK-62 Kephart (5"). It of course is in 1095 but would do all the things you need to do short of being great at skinning.

The Blackjack 125 has been a favorite of mine as well for a few years.

Always have a folder with you for the detailed stuff.

Last edited:
While I love Bark River, I also backpack and camp. I'd go for an opinal because of the weight. I'm also looking for a fixed blade to carry, and I dont know what it will be. Understand that my camping is lots of hiking and yours may not be.

Manitou

Best looking knives they've made so far
manitou-cru-wear-bastone-walnut-burl-3-dlt-399.95__72284.1553626248.jpg

Thanks everyone for the input so far!

The Mountain Man and River Wilderness look like they could be an option but a quick search leads me to believe they are mostly out of stock and I would have to find one on the secondary market.

Chris_Himself Chris_Himself That Manitou is an extremely nice looking piece. I don't have any experience with Cru-Wear though, do you mind sharing how it has worked out for you?

22-rimfire 22-rimfire Regardless of when I get a fixed blade, I will always keep a folder on me ;)

Here is a photo of my Wilderness Explorer. I very much like the blade shape for a general purpose woods knife and the guard offers a little protection. I was looking for a 5.5" knife at the time and I prefer the guard, so this knife appealed to me a great deal even though it is 5.75". It does look like it is mostly out of stock at the BR dealers I checked.
DSC03469 BRKT Wilderness Explorereded.jpg

The BR Manitou above really grabs my attention. I am fond of this sort of design.

Last edited:
Here is a photo of my Wilderness Explorer. I very much like the blade shape for a general purpose woods knife and the guard offers a little protection. I was looking for a 5.5" knife at the time and I prefer the guard, so this knife appealed to me a great deal even though it is 5.75". It does look like it is mostly out of stock at the BR dealers I checked.
View attachment 1113516

The BR Manitou above really grabs my attention. I am fond of this sort of design.

these are out of stock, so out of stock that i would buy one in green micarta the moment I saw one from a reputable site

Thanks everyone for the input so far!

Chris_Himself Chris_Himself That Manitou is an extremely nice looking piece. I don't have any experience with Cru-Wear though, do you mind sharing how it has worked out for you?

Cru-Wear is expensive, is nearly as tough as 3V with stainless resistance and edge holding superior to it. The hidden tang knives are my favorite since I can't break anything they make anyway. I just bought a Boone which is one of my favorites.

They're all tough outdoors knives, just pick the shape that youll like the most. The skinners chop and the choppers can skin don't get too hung up on details, I think technique and experience are superior to blade profile. So for me I just pick the ones I enjoy looking at. You know I bring my recent barkies with me driving on my lap so I can fondle them in traffic

these are out of stock, so out of stock that i would buy one in green micarta the moment I saw one from a reputable site.

Cru-Wear is expensive, is nearly as tough as 3V with stainless resistance and edge holding superior to it. The hidden tang knives are my favorite since I can't break anything they make anyway. I just bought a Boone which is one of my favorites.

They're all tough outdoors knives, just pick the shape that youll like the most. The skinners chop and the choppers can skin don't get too hung up on details, I think technique and experience are superior to blade profile. So for me I just pick the ones I enjoy looking at. You know I bring my recent barkies with me driving on my lap so I can fondle them in traffic
Are you referring to the Manitou or Wilderness Explorer (WE) model? (out of stock comment) As you know, there are various Manitou models available. On the WE, I was taken with C-Tek at a show and decided I wanted to try it out. I chose red which would perhaps help me locate my knife in the woods if I sat it down. Been generally choosing flashier handles the last couple of years. The WE is right at the large edge size-wise for a regular carry outdoors knife for me. I visit the Smokey Mt NP a lot and for my mostly car touring, woods exploring, and light day hiking, I often just have a smaller less conspicuous fixed blade with me. The Manitou would easily work for that. One of the Kepharts has gotten the nod for those jaunts this year.

I have a number of green canvas micarta knives. I like it. It's tough and doesn't absorb water. But it has gotten kind of ho hum for me. I like the Boone but I am not really into blood grooves. Closest to that has been a couple Blackjacks I have purchased. The Blackjacks are all in A2 and I consider 125 an excellent outdoors knife, especially if you have big hands. As you said, I am not a heavy user of fixed blades in general and just about any of them work for me outdoors if I like them. The biggest thing is that I prefer a pointy blade.

People here frequently say they want a "full tang" knife for the woods. I don't beat the hell out of my fixed blades and the reduced tangs such as the Manitou and Blackjacks work for me just fine. You've gotten me interested in the Manitou in Cru-wear.... I need another fixed blade like a hole in the head.;)

Last edited:
Well considering my experience and technique with a fixed blade is going to be, uh, sketchy at best to start out I'm glad it sounds like all the Bark River knives will handle themselves with an array of tasks lol.

Based on the input here and spending the last few days analyzing my favorite looking Bark River knife, I'm going to go with the Manitou. It's on the smaller side of what I was looking for but I don't do extremely heavy duty tasks so I think this will work out better since it's fairly light and will probably feel great in hand. Also, I just can't get over how gorgeous it is. I absolutely love the style of it and the many options they offer right now on DLT Trading.

Thanks guys! Now I just have to decide which handle scheme I like best.

Well considering my experience and technique with a fixed blade is going to be, uh, sketchy at best to start out I'm glad it sounds like all the Bark River knives will handle themselves with an array of tasks lol.

Based on the input here and spending the last few days analyzing my favorite looking Bark River knife, I'm going to go with the Manitou. It's on the smaller side of what I was looking for but I don't do extremely heavy duty tasks so I think this will work out better since it's fairly light and will probably feel great in hand. Also, I just can't get over how gorgeous it is. I absolutely love the style of it and the many options they offer right now on DLT Trading.

Thanks guys! Now I just have to decide which handle scheme I like best.

The Manitou is larger than the Bravo 1 which is the do-anything knife they make, but in a 3x tougher steel to make up for the .60 thickness deficit. I don't see it being hurt.

My top 3 change daily, I've been shopping for one for nearly a week without making up my mind. Currently its:

California Buckeye
Curly Maple
Spalted Maple burl (it looks like a bunch of ghosts on the handle)

The Manitou is larger than the Bravo 1 which is the do-anything knife they make, but in a 3x tougher steel to make up for the .60 thickness deficit. I don't see it being hurt.

My top 3 change daily, I've been shopping for one for nearly a week without making up my mind. Currently its:

California Buckeye
Curly Maple
Spalted Maple burl (it looks like a bunch of ghosts on the handle)

Might want to do a search in the Good Bad and Ugly on Bark River Knives before you buy.

If $300 is your max, the Chris Reeve Nyla comes in at $250 and both the company and knife have a stellar reputation.

I own several Bark River knives. There's a lot of "good bad and ugly" out there on the net about them. But I have to say I just LOVE my Bark River knives and my personal experience with the company has been excellent. They are my favorite fixed blade knives (well...aside from my Joe Loui Knives).

I believe most of their offerings are "outdoor" knives and, thus, are a little thicker than what would be most ideal for food prep. This isn't something bad about Bark River, it's just the way knives are. You've been given some good advice above that seems conflicting, but it's not really. The bravo is a good all around knife, but it's a bit thicker than what's ideal for food prep. The Mountain Main is thinner.

Imagine a chef knife, for example. Too thin for an "outdoor knife," but great for food prep. Imagine a hunting knife. Good for all around outside stuff, but a bit thicker than what's optimal for food prep. You just need to figure out if you want a knife that's a little more robust that will WORK for food prep or a knife that's better for food prep that may not be QUITE so robust as an all arounder, but will largely work.

(steel choice)
Bark River will tell you that you can get a thinner knife to hit above its weight class in toughness if you get a tougher steel. It's almost certainly true (but I've never pushed my knives to such a limit to see it with my own eyes). So if you get something in 3V or Cruwear, you can expect to see more food friendly thinness with a good degree of toughness.

You want to be able to get it wet regularly. A2 is way more rust resistant thank 1095, so I like it. But if it's going to be wet all the time, look to Elmax, CPM 154 or 3V.

3V has come up in both categories (toughness and stainess resistance), so that might be your steel. It's NOT stainless. But it's actually really stain resistant (more so even than A2). I live in an area where my knives corrode if I don't watch it and I've had no problems with 3V. It will take more work to sharpen, but will hold an edge longer than A2. Cruwear is cool, slightly tougher than 3v, but it rusts more. And 3V is already so DANG tough, the improvement of Cruwear to 3v in toughness won't be noticed by most guys. But I HAVE noticed my Cruwear blade is more apt to rust than my many 3V knives. So if you're worried about toughness AND rust resistance, I'd say 3V all DAY. CPM 154 is a "stainless" steel that's reasonably tough, too. I think you're looking at 3V or CPM 154.

Based on what you said, I'd narrow it down to 3V or CPM 154 knives and look for a spine thickness that's acceptable and then look at designs you like. A Bravo 1 or 1.25 LT (I'd get the 1.25 LT....the LT is important!) in 3V will work for food prep, even if there are "better" food knives out there. The Kephart or Mountain Man are good knives, too! Look at the shapes and the thickness and I think you'll have a gut sense on what you like. Not in Stock? Check Bark River's production schedule to see how far out the next run is. Could be just around the corner, who knows?

Last edited:
B brownshoe Thanks for the rec. I like the looks a lot of the Reeve Nyla and had been eyeing this blade before but decided it's a bit too small for my preferences. I did a lot of research beforehand and so I feel like I'm aware of most of the good, bad and ugly with Bark River.

MCar MCar thank you! I have done a bunch of research leading up to this and decided on Bark River after that. I posted this to get some final perspective on user's favorite knives from Bark River. I'm fully on board with them being "outdoor" knives and thus being a bit thicker and sturdier than your average chef knife. I have my kitchen knives for indoor cooking and this Bark River knife is going to be my "do it all" outdoor knife, which includes a lot of food prep while camping. So, I'm not totally concerned with the blade being a little thicker.

I ended up going with the Bark River Manitou in Spalted Natural Maple Burl - #4. It's got a blade thickness of 0.149" but in Cruwear steel, so like you said, it's got more of a food friendly thickness but in a tough steel. It's got a 4.5 inch blade and comes in at 6.2 oz. It really checks all the boxes for me, and on top of everything it's one of the most gorgeous blades I have looked at.

Thanks everyone for the help! Can't wait for camping season here in Oregon to begin! :)

You will love that knife, it's probably the best one Bark River has made so far in the traditional field knife style

Back