Barong - who has one?

V-1

I own, use and appreciate every other design by Mr. Schempp that Spyderco produces so ... who has a Barong and what's it like? Any reviews would be much appreciated.

I have seen a few pics of the non proto production model and while they did carry the grind back past the hole it still wasn't very far. I was biting at the bit for it when I first saw it but now I think I have a few more I want first.

I just got one from the factory today, its awesome! really smooth, nice flat ground blade. great feel in hand.

I like this knife, but I wish the grind went further back like the manix for ie.

I like this knife, but I wish the grind went further back like the manix for ie.
+1

I was able to play with one today. Friend of mine bought it. Nice looking knife, handle has very good ergos, but I am still not getting 4" blade with only 3" edge :confused::confused::confused:

There is just WAAAY too much unsharpened tang sticking out. :confused:

They need to make the grind either go through the hole or just right beind it. That is a huge knife with the same cutting edge I can get in a Delica or a Caly 3 or a Native.

What a waste of steel on that blade.... However that a heck of a choke up there.. lol
Otherwise the handle looks like it could be nice....
Possibly one of the most comfy spydies to date

Last edited:
Guys, read the entire thread in the other forum-it's only the prototype that was ground that way. Production models will have the edge going much further back. Not to worry. :)
Post #42 of that thread shows the actual production model. It's grind doesn't go back much farther than the prototype.

Guys, read the entire thread in the other forum-it's only the prototype that was ground that way. Production models will have the edge going much further back. Not to worry. :)

The knife, which I handled is not a prototype, it is absolutely production, sold @ knifecenter. :(

After reading the posts after mine here, and re-reading the posts on the Spyderco forums, I realize I was in error. My bad. The pictures all didn't load the first time I was over there, so I didn't get to see a production model picture at that time. I was going by these posts:

"The grind on the production version will extend well past the hole.

Spyderco has gotten the first shipment in, and they will be engraved for CC members. It'll probably be at least a month before the non CC ones are available from dealers."

And this one from Ed Schempp himself:
"I just received my production version of the Barong. This knife was Spyderco engineered twice and has had three different production prototypes delivered.

I have a Barong in hand. The overall blade length is 3 15/16, the cutting edge is 3 3/16. I would have liked the grind to have been taken back another 1/8 of an inch but the angled plunge looks good and really doesn't sacrifice much cutting edge. I use this size of knife choked up for many tasks and if the plunge were taken back much more the index finger of larger hands would be very close to the start of the plunge grind.

I'm very pleased with the production model; the construction is tight and the quality is high. The liners are 1.5 times as heavy or thick as many of the liner locks made by Moki and I believe it will be a strong knife with a secure lock...Take Care...Ed"

I interpreted those to mean that it would be ground a lot further than the prototype. So apologies to those I incorrectly tried to correct:).
That being said, I like the looks of it and plan to get one.

Rik

Back