• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Basalt Fiber Scales

Basalt Fiber Scales

Similar in properties and looks to Carbon Fiber, described as “dark walnut” in color, but with a nice subtle amber hue when the light hits it just right. Apparently the Russians developed it during the cold war to solve for the same engineering applications the U.S. uses carbon fiber. It should work like something between a G10 and CF. Certainly unique and perhaps one of a kind (for now)

The raw material cost is roughly 1/3-1/2 the cost of CF. Still a fairly expensive fabric though. Also, it is a PITA to work with-- the cut edges fray into the finest fibers imaginable (just like CF fabrics), which is even worse when your hands are in latex gloves and covered in stickery* epoxy.

This set of blanks are laid up with a high quality clear epoxy, compressed and cured.
The blanks are dense and rigid with no flex. I think it might make nice bolster material.

Picture shows the material as it came out of the mold and rough sanded with 60 grit disc. The front edge has been sanded up to 1500 grit and buffed with a non wax polish.

I have a pair of blanks that measure 1-3/4 x 5-1/8 with a nominal thickness of 1/4” (they have a bit of a taper to them-- minimum thickness is .240”, maximum .290”)

Price is $45 delivered.

Paypal preferred, contact me for other payment options.

Thanks for looking and questions and comments are welcome.

*new word=slippery/ sticky;)

Attachments

• basaltfiber.jpg
    basaltfiber.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 284
bump with a little better pic....

DSC01033.jpg

Back