Base layer

Hey guys. Going out for fall Turkey (archery). I want to keep my outer layer thin, like a hooded sweatshirt and jeans. Morning temperatures in the upper 30’s to lower 40’s and go up to about 65. I’ve come to the conclusion that merino wool is probably what I’m looking for. What brand and weight am I looking for?

also, anybody that knows how to warm sweaty feet please chime in. When I get cold my feet sweat which makes me more cold. I hate it.

Smartwool for both. Merino works well for what you are looking for.

They have different weights of base layer, you probably will be fine with their lightest. I wear it religiously and have for years.

I bought a pair of Bean boots many years ago (20 or more) and they sent these free socks from a new company called Smartwool. I have owned about every type they make and have never been disappointed. Breath well, comfortable even in warm weather, dry out quick. Numerous types and weights, but not cheap, however they will last.

Gobble, gobble!

Merino wool base layers are good if you don’t get them too wet. They’re also expensive.

For many, first choice Polypropylene base layers are best and effectively wick away moisture. EMS, Patagonia or REI, among others. SmartWool for outer socks. Orlon liner socks. I got mine from Cabela’s years ago.

Jeans aren’t the smartest choice. “Cotton kills.” is a time honored expedition phrase. Google hypothermia.

Last edited:
KUIU is my first choice for Merino wool. The other stuff I have is Minus-33 (I hope I got that right...)
Anyways... Merino wool as base layer.

Reactions: E40
KUIU is my first choice for Merino wool. The other stuff I have is Minus-33 (I hope I got that right...)
Anyways... Merino wool as base layer.
My heaviest set (bottoms) is by Minus33. They are awesome. I tend to not go too heavy on the tops as I wear more layers, I think that lighter base layer helps when you are moving and start sweating and then sit for a couple three hours.

I use WoolPower from Sweden and get them from CanadianOutdoorEquipment. It's pricey, but a pair should last for years if you treat it right. The 200g works great for most conditions. I save the 400g for very cold days and sometimes for ice fishing. Skip the jeans. Cotton is cold. Wear the merino against your skin except for underwear under your bottoms to keep the bottoms clean. Carry your jacket and hat in so that you don't get too hot. You can put your jacket on when you get to where you're hunting.

It sounds odd, but avoid washing the merino except maybe at the end of a season, if then. Every time that you do so it gets a bit thinner and thinner means less warmth. That's just the nature of a washer and dryer. I avoid both as much as possible for my merino wool. Instead, hang it up to air it out. You won't stink and it's comfortable.

I've tried all the fancy, synthetic material name brands and for me, and this merino wool just works. I'm usually in the woods for weeks deer hunting and need to be quiet, warm, and try not to retain too much scent in my clothes. The synthetic name-brand stuff seems to retain some noticeable scent even after running it through the washing machine. I'm not a fan. There are probably others that work just as well as the WoolPower stuff, but I stopped looking when I started using it since it works for me.

Good luck! I hope that you found something this year and were successful hunting!

Check out First Lite merino. They have the best merino I've used, and I've worked and hunted in the cold most of my life.

Back