Basic Survival Gear

Not a hunter, but I carry a small collection of survival items any time I do anything in the woods.

The mainstays in my kit are:

Fire kit (Tinder, and at keast 2 sources of ignition (lighter, matches, ferro rod, fresnel lens... I usually carry 4+ sources actually)
Emergency shelter (I use an AMK 2 person heetsheets blanket)
Repair kit (duct tape, tenacious tape, needles, dental floss, thread)
Some way of purifying water (whether that be boiling, filtering, or using drops/tablets)
Small roll of cordage
Knife, obviously

That might be it for a day jaunt on marked trails. I may add more items like a compass, etc...

In my day pack that I carry while deer hunting:

toilet paper
lighter
SAK Farmer
poncho
small space blanket
first aid kit
compass
whistle
flashlight
25 ft. of 550 paracord
55gal. plastic trash bag
water bottle w / SS cup
flagging tape (for blood trailing)

Just the basics in case I "unexpectedly" have to spend a night out in the woods (that only happened one time in over 40 years of hunting).

I have a pouch with a few things that I can carry on my belt or on my hunting pack. In it I have a light+extra batteries, Vic Farmer, paracord, whistle, survey tape, compass, ferro rod+tinder, and a minimalist first aid kit.

I carry a hunting knife, water, a lighter, light, pocket knife and my phone...in addition to my gun. Watch has a compass.
I generally, don't hunt that far from my car.

I carry a hunting knife, water, a lighter, light, pocket knife and my phone...in addition to my gun. Watch has a compass.
I generally, don't hunt that far from my car.

I thought you wrote: "in addition to my gun, which has a compass

e8b19f28d30fe256b2448c3728bd01b1.jpg

Last edited:
Knife and fire, tobacco and my Pipe. If I lived in a more remote area of the world the list would be longer.

Very basic. Anytime I'm in the woods, I have the Ontario SP10 Bowie with a rudimentary kit:

Some snelled fish hooks
Ferro rod
Paracord
All wrapped up in about 6ft of aluminum foil (which has so many uses)

The little kit is about 3" long and 1/2" in diameter. I make the all the time and stuff or stash them all over the place in my gear. It's not fancy, but with a small profile I find its fills alot of needs. I mean, I always have multiple blades, gun, etc... so that kit does it for me, and has come in handy a time or two.

Back