Basic Survival Kit

Etowah tarps are great ,I've used one for a while,I love the tabs instead of gromments
& I like mountain house food ,actually taste good :) or trail mix type stuff/beef jerky/ pouches of salmon,tuna,chicken easier than can stuff to disppose of...

add TP to list :)

If it really was a SHTF scenario, couldn't you just break the vending machine?

Those machines that I know are pretty much secure so it might be a shitload of work to break them... I'd rather spend a coin than breaking the tip of my knife or wasting tons of calories just to get a Snickers :D

add TP to list :)

-right up near the top of the list actually! In addition to the BOB bag, I keep a full roll, in a Zip-Loc bag, under the front seat of each car....and those rolls in the car get used at least once or twice a year (be sure to swap them out, TP eventually falls apart on it's own if it's too dry where you live).

Those machines that I know are pretty much secure so it might be a shitload of work to break them... I'd rather spend a coin than breaking the tip of my knife or wasting tons of calories just to get a Snickers :D

I was thinking of the old ones with the big thin plastic window. A basketball sized rock or bat of some sort would probably take care of it quickly.

If dealing with an event that does physical damage to your immediate surroundings, a pair of $5 leather work gloves is very nice to have. A hurricane/tornado/earthquake only lasts so long, but the cleanup takes a while and it's dirty work that often involves debris that is more pleasant to contend with if wearing gloves.

This also holds true for changing a flat tire in cold conditions. Numb hands just don't work too well.

get a bike (a mountain bike preferrably). you can carry a lot more weight and cover a lot more distance on a bike than walking.

Most importantly, be physically, mentally, and emotionally ready to pick up and move if need be. You may have to bug out, but you may not be able to return for quite some time.

well said especially on physical fitness! all the titanium/ultralight gear in the world won't do crap if someone is carrying 50 lbs of fat and a couch potato.

first hand experience, i hiked with someone recently who kept asking "are we there yet?" 2 miles into the hike! being physically fit is as important as your bow drill, trap making, etc. skills.

This is from Lessons learned in the wilderness survival skills forum by Jacknife - it is the best direct from the front line advice I had found, good learnings:

"Supplies that are valued are bottled water, instant Ramin packs, tea, and canned goods. Some kind of cover for your nose and mouth are needed, both from dust, and the stench from the flooded areas. Good heavy work gloves and boots are needed to navigate the ruble. A short D handle shovel is useful for not only digging, but to use as a pry tool. They have some kind of Japanese army service people working with them, and they are carrying short shovels, and getting a lot of use out of the mundane tool. Many people have set up little shelters from plastic sheeting and scrap lumber, around a communal fire. It's cold at night, and a warm blanket is valuable."

Great suggestions all.
Kinda what I was thinking, but with a few things I didn't think of. :thumbup:
What sort of food are you suggesting to put in a Bug Out Bag?
And where do I get a strong and light weight tarp?
I'm also thinking that a small knife sharpener might be a good idea.
Suggestions?
Lenny

I have Mountain House dehydrated food in all of my family's BOBs. It is very light cooks with just boiling water right in the bag.

I use this tarp. http://www.bensbackwoods.com/servlet/Detail?no=396
It is a great one.

first aid - duct tape, non- adherent pads and 1 big trauma dressing
water - a way to carry it and at least 2 ways to purify
food - something compact and calorie dense - Datrex/Mainstay is portable and stable
shelter(tarp/tent) - Adv Med HeetSheet and Bivy
clothing - wool socks, gloves, wool hat and peaked cap - a good outer layer. I wear Merrels or Danners every day so I don't keep boots in my crash bag. If you wear something on the dressier side you might want to consider stashing boots. Your feet and how you treat them will make or break you...
knife - ESEE-4
multi-tool - Charge TTi
led flashlight(extra batteries) - Surefire G2L and Petzl headlamp
fire making method - RAT Firekit, tinder, Bic x 2
firearm w/ammo - G23, mags and IWB holster
way to haul all of the above - the toughest part is choosing a pack (I'm a Cordura pimp...)
- 550 cord and mason's twine
- stainless flask of good single malt and a Pelican travel case of cigars...

Remember - cash is king. A couple rolls of quarters for vending machines that may still be operational and a fistfull of dead presidents will often accomplish what asking nicely does not. A clean credit card or a pre-loaded VISA/MC is also a great idea.

A secure flash drive with all of your important docs scanned on can be a life-saver. deeds, ID docs, medical records, banking info, photos, all sorts of otherwise irreplaceable documents. Encrypt it and stash it in a Pelican box for additional protection. I like IronKey...

blake

A card is useless if sh*t really hits the fan! Like you stated at first (CASH IS KING) :thumbup:

No power....card doesn't work.

Last edited:
Under the food requirement...Has anyone tried the mainstay bars and water? I was thinking of getting some. The beneifit of these per the website is non thirst provoking, and pretty much can be stored in the car, since they sat heat upto 300 does not bother them, no prep, and light weight, Cheap, and 5 year storage.

Last edited:
Back