"Batoning"

littlehoot

Gold Member
So, on another forum I frequent there is a discussion about batoning.

Their general response to the topic involves a lot of "it's abuse and blades will not handle it" or "it breaks knives" or at the very least "it'll ruin your edge"

Discuss, please. I think they don't have a real clue.

Like all tools, it depends on the knife and what it was originally intended for. I wouldn't baton with my cooking lives, for example. However, a good purpose-built bush life holds up just fine under most batoning. That isn't to say you should go out and chop down a Redwood with it. That's the job of an Axe -- if we're sticking to blade/handtools. As for ruining the edge... all cutting ruins the edge. That's why you sharpen them after use.

I can't get anyone to tell me wtf batoning is.

Splitting a bit of wood using a knife, via driving said knife through the wood by striking the spine with an object, specifically another piece of wood (the "baton")

Ok so it's the hitting the spine of the blade with another stick. Thanks

Notes to self:. Do not baton the murman gladius.

Like was stated previously it depends on the knife. I would not use my cultellus to baton with, but would not hesitate to use my SOB. It is also highly dependent on the degree of your bevel. I wouldn't want to baton with my nmfsh reprofiled to 15 degrees.

Batoning and Busses go way back. I was looking for Silent Knight information the other day, and ran across this from Busse's website (circa 2000):

v2YQYIE.gif

BQ696L1.gif

....saw that....stayed out of it as may make an arse of myself otherwise... ;)

Yeah, it's kinda amusing, a gun forum full of "knowledgeable" people, and they bash something they obviously don't know much about, while "thinking" themselves knowledgeable.

Occasionally, that place is frustrating.

Ok so it's the hitting the spine of the blade with another stick. Thanks

Notes to self:. Do not baton the murman gladius.
Of course not! That's strictly for killing gladiators! But, it sure would make a great video trying to baton with it - I'm seeing a rubber ball tethered to a paddle kind of thing going on - I've been entertained by less I'm sure :D

Back