Battleaxe / Tomahawk

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by I'mSoSharp, Jun 6, 2020.

1. I'mSoSharp

I'mSoSharp

Mar 8, 2011
    I didn't know how to title this thread as I'm not exactly sure how this would be categorised!

I forged this head about five years ago from an old VW Bug swing axle, I was playing about & learning, the one thing I learnt when trying to put a handle on it was I'd drifted the eye too small, I handled it then scrapped the handle & the head has been kicking around until recently looking for another lockdown project, I had a flash of inspiration, why not strap it? So that is what I did, handle is top of an old hockey stick with 1.5mm mild steel tube cut & bent for straps with steel rivets, a cotton twine wrap dyed black & CA glued with a steel end cap/skull crusher made from a washer nut & bolt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The head is really tight, I wacked the handle in with a lump hammer in that top image before peening the straps over.

2. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    That looks really nice man! Well done! I think it looks very well done.

I'mSoSharp and Hairy Clipper like this.
  3. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Nice save!

I'mSoSharp and Hairy Clipper like this.
  4. CVamberbonehead

CVamberbonehead Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2017
    Good job!

I'mSoSharp likes this.
  5. Astrogator

Astrogator

Mar 19, 2012
    Nicely done.

Cheers.

I'mSoSharp likes this.
  6. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Looks real Nice !!!

I'mSoSharp likes this.
  7. justjed

justjed

Oct 23, 2010
    Very nice job, I like that!

I'mSoSharp likes this.
  8. Cotherion

Cotherion

Aug 7, 2007
    Just turned a typical hawk (its more of a tomahawk to me) into an epic one :)

I'mSoSharp likes this.
  9. I'mSoSharp

I'mSoSharp

Mar 8, 2011
    Thanks for the nice comments everyone, & yes @Cotherion I guess it is a Spike Hawk so added Tomahawk to the title. :).
    I always think of Tomahawks as slip-fit handles but that's me being too nit-picky.

10. justjed

justjed

Oct 23, 2010
    You're not the only one picky about that! I despise calling a full-tang hand-axe a tomahawk.

EDIT: I would consider your weapon to be a battle-axe...

I'mSoSharp likes this.
  11. justjed

justjed

Oct 23, 2010
    If the handle goes in from the top, it's a tomahawk.
    If the handle goes in from the bottom, it's an axe.
    The full-tang type is more a breaching tool, or crash-axe. One thing it is NOT is a tomahawk.
    In my opinion...

I'mSoSharp likes this.
  12. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    I think that train departed many decades ago and there is no coming back. I cannot imagine we would suddenly start calling Sheldon-Wells/Lewis, Balanced, LaGana Tomahawks something else.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/balanced-tomahawk-axe-408738304
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-lagana-tomahawk-early-1970s-469169728
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-lewis-throwing-tomahawk-made-2026649216

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    I'mSoSharp likes this.
  13. justjed

justjed

Oct 23, 2010
    No, probably not, but that was just my opinion. And I don't really know any other way to classify those, except maybe just 'hawks...

crbnSteeladdict and I'mSoSharp like this.