Battleaxe / Tomahawk

I didn't know how to title this thread as I'm not exactly sure how this would be categorised!

I forged this head about five years ago from an old VW Bug swing axle, I was playing about & learning, the one thing I learnt when trying to put a handle on it was I'd drifted the eye too small, I handled it then scrapped the handle & the head has been kicking around until recently looking for another lockdown project, I had a flash of inspiration, why not strap it? So that is what I did, handle is top of an old hockey stick with 1.5mm mild steel tube cut & bent for straps with steel rivets, a cotton twine wrap dyed black & CA glued with a steel end cap/skull crusher made from a washer nut & bolt.

pr1SNUm.jpg

m6Sp95Q.jpg

AIUlJQD.jpg

The head is really tight, I wacked the handle in with a lump hammer in that top image before peening the straps over.

I didn't know how to title this thread as I'm not exactly sure how this would be categorised!

I forged this head about five years ago from an old VW Bug swing axle, I was playing about & learning, the one thing I learnt when trying to put a handle on it was I'd drifted the eye too small, I handled it then scrapped the handle & the head has been kicking around until recently looking for another lockdown project, I had a flash of inspiration, why not strap it? So that is what I did, handle is top of an old hockey stick with 1.5mm mild steel tube cut & bent for straps with steel rivets, a cotton twine wrap dyed black & CA glued with a steel end cap/skull crusher made from a washer nut & bolt.

pr1SNUm.jpg

m6Sp95Q.jpg

AIUlJQD.jpg

The head is really tight, I wacked the handle in with a lump hammer in that top image before peening the straps over.
That looks really nice man! Well done! I think it looks very well done.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone, & yes Cotherion Cotherion I guess it is a Spike Hawk so added Tomahawk to the title. :).
I always think of Tomahawks as slip-fit handles but that's me being too nit-picky.

You're not the only one picky about that! I despise calling a full-tang hand-axe a tomahawk.

EDIT: I would consider your weapon to be a battle-axe...

If the handle goes in from the top, it's a tomahawk.
If the handle goes in from the bottom, it's an axe.
The full-tang type is more a breaching tool, or crash-axe. One thing it is NOT is a tomahawk.
In my opinion...

If the handle goes in from the top, it's a tomahawk.
If the handle goes in from the bottom, it's an axe.
The full-tang type is more a breaching tool, or crash-axe. One thing it is NOT is a tomahawk.
In my opinion...
I think that train departed many decades ago and there is no coming back. I cannot imagine we would suddenly start calling Sheldon-Wells/Lewis, Balanced, LaGana Tomahawks something else.
vintage-lagana-tomahawk-early-1970s_1_c6a73e6e1288716e4dfd9cba04e8cd09.jpg
balanced-tomahawk-axe_1_e93dcc14aaf76c38cc3d3944dc30ac6e.jpg

vintage-lewis-throwing-tomahawk-made_1_deb00de3ddfbfcf476046420e1117ee4.jpg

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/balanced-tomahawk-axe-408738304
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-lagana-tomahawk-early-1970s-469169728
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-lewis-throwing-tomahawk-made-2026649216

Last edited:
Back