BattleBlades.........any good?

I have been planning to buy my first swords for a long time. The closest thing to what I'm looking for is Sengoku Bushō Shinken (https://www.battlebladesinc.com/sengoku-bushō-shinken) and Gokudō Shōtō (https://www.battlebladesinc.com/gokudo-shoto) made by BattleBlades.
BattleBladesSengokuBushoShinken1.jpg
BattleBladesGokudoShoto7.jpg

Even though the swords will be hanging on the wall (or under the pillow) most of the time, I would like them to be of such quality and durability that you dare to "use" them in light cutting exercises, like a burglar's hand or leg. That led to the first questions.
1. Are BattleBlades good quality or should I keep looking
2. What other similar models are available in the same price range

I probably won't immediately test the sword's cutting ability with the traditional method,
%E3%82%B9%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A7%E3%83%83%E3%83%88-2021-04-18-18.41.40-1024x711.jpg

but I really don't plan to hang anything on the wall that I can't present to guests, be they invited guests or uninvited "night guests".

Lots of functional, well made sword blades are made in china, by Hanwei for example. Busse doasnt make swords, only sword-like-objects.

I really have no experience with oriental swords whatsoever, but I know that its easier to get a functional budget Katana than it is to get a budget western sword. I'm sure you can find a lots of information in various sword forums or on YouTube. Ive recently seen one tested that was made by Balaur Arms, which seemed decent to me. I don't know how important it is to you that the blade be differentially hardened, if it is, make sure to look out for that since most swords are made of mono spring steel. They aren't worse, but not accurate to historical Japanese swords.

If youre looking to have it mainly as an ornament, there is no need to spend close to a grand on a sword. You can get functional swords for about $300 and up these days. What you gat at higher price points is nicer fit and finish work, as well as better balance.

Thank you very much, guys........then i probably need to buy the aforementioned swords, so i can............

poster-cropped-1280x720.jpg
I wouldn't take it to personally with the number of chitanas out there, here today gone tomorrow its hard for people to have experience with whatever the brand of the month is...

I joined BladeForums just to answer this, because I looked all over for someone else to have taken the risk on this sword and leave a review, and I didn't see any.

So I took the risk. Here's my review.

Major points up front:
1) Very loose in the scabbard--much scabbard rattle, and falls right out. You have to be careful pulling it out of the sword bag, or while handling it while it's in the sword bag. UPDATE: Recently this has fitted better in the throat of the scabbard, although it is still winter and the humidity hasn't changed--or is perhaps even drier than it was when it arrived. Still rattles.
2) Front heavy. I know this is subjective, but it feels slow with two hands, and really unmanageable with just one hand, whether the left or the right. "Throwing" a shot with the left hand, near the pommel, is really out of the question. I'm 6'5" with big hands and chop down trees with axes, and this sword is tiny to me, but it still feels sluggish. Some people like more "forward presence," though.
3) Generic-feeling furniture (koshirae). This feels like the typical, rough-cut "alloy" that they use on most mall katanas, and is rough on the hands. This is juxtaposed against what otherwise seems like really nice furniture--it is as eye-catching as their very excellent product photography implies.

They were a bit difficult to order from in the US (they're based in Finland), and they wanted a wire transfer, which my bank threw up all the red flags for. The owner--or agent I exchanged emails with--was very nice. It felt risky ordering from them, though, and I was quite relieved when the sword finally arrived.

...until I handled it.

By comparison, I have a Cheness--which almost everyone says is a very low-quality forge, now defunct, btw--which is almost exactly the same size and, curiously, almost exactly the same point of balance (PoB), but the Cheness handles quite adroitly, feels swift and easy to control, but with enough presence to follow through a cut. The Battling Blades feels so clumsy and cumbersome. I suspect it suffers from a handle that's too small in diameter, and would like to try to put a bigger handle on it (report on that experiment to come). A katana is a two-handed weapon that can be wielded with one hand--and this is not that.

After shipping and conversion from euro-->USD, it was about $900. It isn't as nice as many $300 ones out there, and I'd return it if I could. (A lot of you call us risk takers fools for blazing trails for you--you're welcome, anyway.)

It still looks nice and has a certain élan. I think the market for Japanese swords--let's be totally honest here--is driven by their art value more than their performance. So when I call this ornamental, don't dismiss it as meaning cheap--I actually think wall hangers are what's driving up the price of swords. For admiring as part of your beautiful collection, if that's your thing, this probably still passes. For serious practice, or as a fighting sword it was a near miss.

I'd like them to try again, but I don't think I'm the buyer who's going to influence their production. A few small things would make this a better sword: tighter scabbard fit, less felt heaviness, smooth out the hardware that touches the hand. If it had those things, it would be well worth it.

Did you wind up buying this?

Last edited:
Post Script: I probably won't do any cutting with this, as I hope I can find a buyer for it who appreciates it more for its merits. So no feedback on it's cutting ability. Maybe one of those full-time YouTube influencers who get swag from sword companies will get around to it.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. After one spends a decent amount of money it's hard to put your ego aside and admit that the item you purchased might not be all that you had hoped for. As is you have provided your honest opinion of the sword in question. Truthfully, it sounds pretty lacking.

I also did not know that cheness was defunct.

Back