BDZ-1 Steel

I just purchased a kershaw blur with a tanto BDZ-1 blade. I've never owned a knife with this steel before. What do you guys think about it? How does it compare to other steels such as s30v?

*Scurries off to google the stuff*

According to Z-knives:

BDZ1(Carpenter) - Stainless steel designed to provide uniform, fine carbide structure. Highly stain resistant, used for razor blades and other utility applications. Max working hardness around 60HRC. By specs it belongs to German W-Nr 1.4037 steel group, however unlike the 1.4037 spec CTS-BDZ1 contains trace amounts of Molyubdenum, upto 0.75%. Not much, but it';s a strong carbide former and 0.75% is better then 0.

Composition:
0.60/0.75 C,
1.00 Max. Mn,
0.025 Max. Ph,
0.01 Max. S,
1.00 Max. Si,
12.50/13.50
Cr, 0.75 Max. Mo, Bal. Fe.

Conclusion according to what I see on paper:
Reasonable edgeholding along the same lines of many carbon steels and 13C27
Very good corrosion resistance.

Offcourse this is all dependent on heat treatment.

Not in the same high wear league as S30V

It looks a bit like 440A with lower chrome. It should work great. CTS steels are excellent. They are clean and very consistent from batch to batch. They are also working better with cutlery companies than they used to. Crucible, now owned by Carpenter was the only one that cared before. Now previously difficult to get steels are more available and in one case one well known knife maker got them to run a steel to spec. That is CTS BD1.

It should make a good but not especially wear resistant stainless with better toughness than many stainless steels used.

I'd say it's very similar if not a touch better than the normal 14c28n sandvik used on the regular blurs. I've used this steel to an extent from a previous run of tanto blurs and I've liked it.

I'd say it's right on par with 14c28n

Actually not "as" clean as the sandvik, due to higher silicon, but that's not to say it's not still very clean. Might have slightly higher carbon and and a slight bit of moly added. The 14c28n has nitrogen added to make up for less carbon and slightly more chromium, ultimately making the sandvik a bit more stainless, but very similar steels that get really really sharp.

Back