Bead Blasting......

I don’t know if anyone would need or desire this service but I am going to offer it anyway. To all of our fellow Blade Forums members, free of charge :)

In our shop we have 2 bead-blasting cabinets. One uses glass beads and the other uses plastic beads.

The glass beads are excellent for removing rust/corrosion from all different types of metals from steel to bronze. They also excel at removing paint and other foreign substances like various types of blade coatings. The glass beads remove everything and take the surface to the “raw” material.

The plastic beads excel at removing paint from materials. Plastic beads are a good choice when “scratching” the surface and getting down to the “raw” material isn’t desired. Plastic beads save all coatings, such as anodized metals. Plastic bead do not do a good job at removing rust.

Any type of material can be bead-blasted from plastic to wood.

I’m solely offering this service for Blade forums members because I love this site and I wish to help people out anyway I can. So if you would like to talk feel free to shoot me a PM or E-mail or just respond in the thread!

Me either, but thanks for the generous offer. My hat's off to you. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Here is an example of a piece of bronze being cleaned up and put through the processes:
(sorry for the low resolution crummy pictures but it’s my phone. If people would like to see better quality pictures I certainly can do that. These are just to “get an idea” of how various stages during the process look.)

A piece of bronze pilot tube untouched, and as you can see dirty…..
bronzebefore.jpg

The same piece right after glass bead blasting…
bronzebeaded.jpg

Once again…this time after polishing
Bronzeafter.jpg

Thanks a bunch! I might need your help soon, but regardless, it's cool.

Wow, it seems this forum is showing me how impressive it really it each time I log on :thumbup:

I'll restrain myself & perhaps only take up your offer in the future for sandblasting only one or two of my older sebbies (I'm tempted to send you a lot more items but, that wouldn't be right.)

Regardless, karma points for you my friend ;)
Scooby

Wow, it seems this forum is showing me how impressive it really it each time I log on :thumbup:

I'll restrain myself & perhaps only take up your offer in the future for sandblasting only one or two of my older sebbies(I'm tempted to send you a lot more items but, that wouldn't be right.)

Regardless, karma points for you my friend ;)
Scooby

It really isn't all that labor intensive...so please if you desire the work don't hesitate. That is way I have offered the service....I want to help out our fellow "knife knuts", besides I enjoy it;)

Here are some more example pictures, this time a piece of steel that has been anodized black.

Steel untouched…..
Anodizedsteel.jpg

Piece after bead blasting…..
steelafterblast.jpg

Same piece once again after polishing
steelafter.jpg

I disassembled my Tenacious and removed the blade to put it through the process. This time instead of polishing the blade I put it in our “tumbler” machine. Our "tumbler" machine is very similar to what the manufactures use after they stamp out the rough blade shapes to de-burr the edges. However we do not use ceramic tumbler beads we use aluminum. Works exactly the same and it puts a subtle "stonewashed" look on the steel. It’s hard to discern from the pictures but I think it turned out well and I am pleased with the outcome.

Here is the blade untouched:
Bladeuntouched.jpg

Here it is after bead blasting:
BladeBlasted.jpg

Then after 2 hours in the tumbler machine:
Bladeblastedandshook.jpg

Ok so I just couldn't take it and had to finally get some good quality pictures posted….here you go::D

comparison1.jpg

conparison2.jpg

blastandtumbled.jpg

It really isn't all that labor intensive...so please if you desire the work don't hesitate. That is way I have offered the service....I want to help out our fellow "knife knuts", besides I enjoy it;)

Hi there,
As per our emails, here's a shot of the parts that I will be sending your way this week :thumbup:

THE BEFORE SHOT :) (yep, I'll be relying on your skills for masking the sebbie scales.)
partsbefore.jpg

THE AFTER SHOT
:p *PLEASE SEE POST#30*

BTW - In case I haven't said it enough... You're the man :D

Thanks again for offering your time & resources,
Scooby

*EDIT* - that particular sebbie is now in trade discussions so it might not be sent now.

Last edited:
I would suggest masking off all the lock-mating surfaces on the two blades, unless I'm mistaken and you already have.

I don’t know if anyone would need or desire this service but I am going to offer it anyway. To all of our fellow Blade Forums members, free of charge :)

Some of the best things in life are free. Thank you for the kind offer.

Back