Bear and Son

Jody744

Gold Member
1B231A39-3193-4F7C-93F9-9FE59F9262F3.jpeg So I have a Barlow of theirs somewhere just never been a big fan of their knives. I saw this knife and thought it looked ok, just got it in the mail and it is a very nice knife. Nice walk and talk and shaving sharp. USA made. I stole this photo because mine stink, but it even came with a nice cloth pouch. A fantastic knife for a great price!

That looks very nice. The barlow I got from was IMHO a POS. Poor fit and finish and the blade wasn’t centered. That being said, they are not expensive. So, you get what you pay for. If you are looking for an inexpensive barlow check out the Rough Riders which are a true value for the cost.

I really want to like Bear and Son, but the two knives of theirs that I've had left a lot to be desired. That was a few years ago and I'm thinking about giving them a third chance, but I'm waiting to hear more positive feedback. I want them to do well.

I have a couple that are actually pretty good. But I had to go to a dealer that carried a large stock of their knives (near Ft Knox) and actually go through abut 2 dozen to find the ones I bought. The disparity between the knives actually pissed me off, because I couldn't believe the QC standards were that generous.

I think Bear & Sons is going to have to either step up their game or quit, because the Chinese will own the low end of the market and then move up, and Bear will get run over.

I've never had or handled one of their knives.

However, I'm pretty sure they know how to make a good one, since before Buck took over the Remington production a couple years ago, Bear and Son made all the Remington knives, including the limited edition(?) Bullet Knives.

Whether they make a good one now is another matter.

From what I've read here, it's "luck of the draw" if you get a good one or not.
That being the case, (no pun intended) I'll stick to the Rough Ryder, Marbles, and BTI Schrade. I've never received a "lemon" from them. :)

Want them to be successful, but I have not been impressed with the ones i have seen, had one and gave away. The fit and finish and consistency of Chinese makers in that price range or category are better. I have not seen them lately, so hope they kick it up a notch.

I have two of theirs that were pretty good, fit and finish about like Schrade, Rough Rider, Camillus at the time... this was 10 to 15 years ago. One was pretty new then, the other was older, from when they were Bear MGC. They might have been nicer since they were damascus bladed, a nicer line? I dunno. I liked them!

But at the time I was told I lucky one, no one else here had ever had much luck with them. I've yet to try again, they don't do damascus anymore, and other than that I've never been drawn to them... They just don't attract me.

I gotta say, they must do something right because they're surviving. For about 18 years I've been hearing the same poor reviews, yet after 18 years they're still with us!

I’ve not seen one in these parts for a long time. This one was bought to support an old dealer of mine. Sat on the truck for years, heck I’ve had it for ten myself. Every blade with wobble, one blade interferes with another upon opening followed by gaps and spaces everywhere. He did appreciate the support thankfully.
That was a long time ago, and I do wish them (Bear) success going forward.

6DE48188-DF5D-4557-A188-E7C42270E910.jpeg

I want to find another place I can buy in person, so far my only option is the local hardware and the B&S knives they have in stock are horrible.
I'm definitely willing to try a B&S knife for sure.

I don't think I'd go with this one, because it's not even close to actually being an office knife pattern but they have a model or two I'd love to get a good example of.

They used to make some pretty nice Stag and Damascus folding hunters. That was quite a while ago. Like over 10 years.
Greg

They’re making the same one in white bone for Filson now. When I saw that, I assumed it must be decent quality because I didn’t figure they’d put their name on a junky knife.

Bear and Son have a interesting niche. Their knives certainly have an old timey feel and offer a variety of patterns.

The QC is inconsistent. If your willing to dive into trying several models there are a few gems.

The carbon steel is pretty soft.

Back