Bear Bows - repair advice?

fq55

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I was gifted a older Bear Kodiak Magnum (52” and 45#) last year and because of everything that’s been going on I haven’t had the time to set it up or shoot it.

I just noticed some de lamination on the grip and was wondering if the bow was worth saving or if there are places that would repair this that folks here have experience with.

The bow is older and I’m guessing from the 70’s and I would love to be able to put it to use.

Added some pics:

35A0D9D7-EFC0-487F-8B58-C347DD61CDAD.jpeg 04F7656F-CAC3-430B-9F67-59A56AAF5D0D.jpeg 24589661-CBDD-4255-BBD7-257E9510CEB4.jpeg
EAE90F10-DE63-4D0F-AB6C-BD5C4180C6C6.jpeg

Last edited:
The bow is worth saving, if the limbs and tips are in good shape and you don't mind doing it yourself.

That appears to be the only affecting the decorative overlay, and shouldn't be an issue shooting. Loctite 420 is commonly used for repairing risers and limbs. Use a syringe and multiple clamps to secure it, work fast. I blend in the cracks in the finish and use very fine 3M paper to polish it up. Less is more, you don't want to break down the epoxy finish. Since it's glass to glass the repair will last many years.

A website with some good info...

bow-restoration---repair.html

There may be bowyers that do repair work but it may be cost prohibitive for a common bow like the Bear.

Excellent advice and thank you for the link.

I will be looking into this.

Excellent advice and thank you for the link.

I will be looking into this.

Glad to help. The first Bear Kodiak Hunter I bought in 1969 or 70 had the screw in bushing on the back of the bow (back would be facing away from you when holding the bow). I don’t have the strength to handle a bow now, but I have great memories of bow hunting and field archery.

If you mess up and ruin the epoxy coat, you can always sand it sligthly and recoat. Shouldn't be too hard. Just got to be carefull not to get runs. You could set up a rottisiere system for it. I do it when I epoxy coat Spearguns.

Mikel

Above would work.
I would have suggested, you don't actually need that piece on the front of the bow.
As such, an orbital sander with some 80 grit sandpaper would take that down rather quickly, go slow so you don't heat it up.
Move up to 150 grit, make sure everything's nice and smooth move up to 220 then go into 400 grit to smooth and polish.
Spray on a little lacquer to seal everything up and shoot it.
You got lucky, the 45 pounders actually shootable and nowhere near as harsh as anything over 50 in the Kodiak Magnum.
Also it's not green like three out of five Kodiak Magnums you find. Not that I don't like the green ones I've owned about a half dozen but damn drop them bad boys in the woods and it's gone.
All in all the Kodiak Magnums not a bad bow Little hard on the elbows and the fingers but they're great for bowfishing.
Not the collector's item that most people think they are, so keeping it stock or keeping it in pristine 1970s condition is not something you're going to need to do. It's a bow take it out in the woods sling wood.
Have fun, use wood arrows.
The other thing about bear Kodiak Magnums they shoot center string so they're pretty lenient on the poundage for arrows or spine weight. I never liked how high The brace height was listed for bear bows.
I always dropped it down a little bit farther by adding an inch or two to the string length. go with the Flemish twist string if you can get it, you can always just give it a little bit more twist on both ends and shorten it or lengthen it to get the brace height where it's comfortable for you.
Three Rivers archery is a good place to start. Little bit of beaver fur for silencers, and you should have a nice little bow to shoot in the woods. Yes you can quiet down a Kodiak Magnum, you have to offset the string silencers can't center them, but you can get it quiet if you play with it.

Last edited:
Back