Bear Grylls Ultimate PRO Survival Knife

Sam my point is people who take care of their stuff don't need stainless steel to keep their tools/knives from rusting And You are right we are off topic I would buy this knife on clearance for a trunk/tackle box knife if I could get it at 50% off
Rroy

That would not be a bad buy Roy. Keep your eye on the Mora Bushcraft Black Survival as well, its a good looking knife ive heard awesome things about.

LOL! I just had to post LOL! Thanks man. My day was boring. I needed that. hahahahhahahahha........... On a side note got nothing against stainless. Just busting a gut on the mall ninja mumbo jumbo. Aw man that was fun.

edit. Ok I give me one example of someone dying in a "survival situation" from lock jaw or whatever we are supposed to catch from our knives.

A friend of mine named Bobby was cleaning Fish with his filet knife and sliced his palm cause his ole lady was out there chewing him a new one and he lost focus. He went in the house and washed his hands, did not bother to treat it really and it got a nasty infection.He ended up getting a shot for the infection, and put on a 2 weeks supply of antibiotics.I don't know about lockjaw, but he could have lost his hand had he not went to the doc.Truth be told it was his fault for not really taking care of his knife, he just used it, abused it, no biggie to him.Personally I take care of my knives, they get oiled, wiped down, sharpened you name it. Had he done all of that after each use, I believe he could have avoided a trip to the hospital.

A friend of mine named Bobby was cleaning Fish with his filet knife and sliced his palm cause his ole lady was out there chewing him a new one and he lost focus. He went in the house and washed his hands, did not bother to treat it really and it got a nasty infection.He ended up getting a shot for the infection, and put on a 2 weeks supply of antibiotics.I don't know about lockjaw, but he could have lost his hand had he not went to the doc.Truth be told it was his fault for not really taking care of his knife, he just used it, abused it, no biggie to him.Personally I take care of my knives, they get oiled, wiped down, sharpened you name it. Had he done all of that after each use, I believe he could have avoided a trip to the hospital.

Not sure if that qualifies as a survival situation or maybe it does given how aggravating a complaining women (or guy to be fair to all the women reading this) can be at times but interesting story none the less. Would stainless really made a difference given the fish guts and blood? Darn if I know. I do remember a story of someone in maybe PA who cut his hand badly ultimately dying of exposure under a mile from his truck. I think the cut was more insult to injury IMHO as exposure was the cause of death which unfortunately is often the case in these rare incidences. The pros I know of for Carbon steel over stainless is easier sharpening for some and stainless steel's lack of ability to preform certain firecraft functions. Stainless used to be horrible for taking an edge but over the years it seems to be getting better. Or maybe I am better at sharpening it? Still I find Carbon steels easier to sharpen.

Last edited:
What's a "Bear Grylls"?

Its the name of a former S.A.S "Special Air Service" member who had a show called " Man vs Wild" IMHO he was pretty crucial in getting alot of people intrested in the outdoors and survival.On the flip side he does alot of stunts in his shows, and sometimes gives bad advice. He caught alot of flak from people for going to his hotel instead of staying out on location to sleep for the night.Personally I don't care where he sleeps, its a show. Anyways thats Bear Grylls.

Its the name of a former S.A.S "Special Air Service" member who had a show called " Man vs Wild" IMHO he was pretty crucial in getting alot of people intrested in the outdoors and survival.On the flip side he does alot of stunts in his shows, and sometimes gives bad advice. He caught alot of flak from people for going to his hotel instead of staying out on location to sleep for the night.Personally I don't care where he sleeps, its a show. Anyways thats Bear Grylls.

Who he is, what is was (a member of the UK version of our National Guard ), and his show have been discussed to death in threads here and elsewhere. He has defenders, some quite passionate, but no one, thus far, defends the irrational behavior that he modeled and the fakery except as entertainment (Way up in a tree with lots of rope? Jump!)

You might enjoy learning to use Google to do your own research on topics. Then you could form your own conclusions.

Actually your right and wrong. Not cleaning your wound of course could cause it. Also, using a dirty knife to clean your food is not a good idea " Its kinda gross too." All of those factors increase the risk of infection.

Nope, not in the example you gave. It matters nothing how clean your knife was, or if it was stainless or carbon, the second you slice into a dead/near dead fish, any knife steel is now contaminated and if you cut yourself you are to.

In the example you gave, any infection resulted from not cleaning the wound, the knife steel type was irrelevant.

One can greatly reduce the chances of an infected wound in a survival situation by learning and practicing good knifemanship in advance. Or barring that carrying no knife at all. Of course other things will stick and poke you out there. In which case knowledge of field wound treatment is very handy in preventing infections. There are some natural wound care aids in many if not most wilderness settings if you know what they are and where to find them.

Yea, first rule of knife skills, don't cut yourself. Have a sanitization bucket nearby. Don't blame the tools for being stupid. Here's a video that's related to the thread:

[video=youtube;GwareED32ew]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwareED32ew[/video]

Don't forget about his world class bow drill technique as seen on Youtube via Discovery's Man vs. Wild. Mr. Grylls is a true artist of the craft. The part when he is blowing wildly at the fireboard is so cool. :D

[video=youtube;XLkyM_lQLxs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLkyM_lQLxs[/video]

More on topic...

Nope, not in the example you gave. It matters nothing how clean your knife was, or if it was stainless or carbon, the second you slice into a dead/near dead fish, any knife steel is now contaminated and if you cut yourself you are to.

In the example you gave, any infection resulted from not cleaning the wound, the knife steel type was irrelevant.

Also wouldn't a dirty stainless knife also harbor nasty germs if packed away then used later?

Last edited:
Yea, first rule of knife skills, don't cut yourself. Have a sanitization bucket nearby. Don't blame the tools for being stupid. Here's a video that's related to the thread:

[video=youtube;GwareED32ew]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwareED32ew[/video]

To be honest, that is a very unfair test. For a number of reasons. Not to defend the "Gryllis" knife again, but comparing it to a drop point, saber-ground knife in 3V (that's what it looked like to me), when the Grylls is hollow ground with a false edge and some mystery steel or budget SS, is kind of ludicrous. No to mention there was probably well over $100 price difference between these 2 knives at the time. They're not even in the same class. Plus, that is still not what the knife is designed for.

Now, I agree, Gerber brought it on themselves, using the Gryllis endorsement, shoddy quality, and slapping "Ultimate" on there, but that comparison is still ridiculous. My .02.

Don't forget about his world class bow drill technique as seen on Youtube via Discovery's Man vs. Wild. Mr. Grylls is a true artist of the craft. The part when he is blowing wildly at the fireboard is so cool. :D

[video=youtube;XLkyM_lQLxs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLkyM_lQLxs[/video]

More on topic...

Also wouldn't a dirty stainless knife also harbor nasty germs if packed away then used later?

And Woods Walker, I never get tired of watching that video, lol. It doesn't get any better!

Think with gerber's track record on quality it'd be better?

Yes, I have one. The "pro" version is a decent knife.

There are a few reviews that really gave it a beating, haven't seen any break yet.

I'd liked to have seen it released outside the BG line to see how it was received.

Yes, I have one. The "pro" version is a decent knife.

There are a few reviews that really gave it a beating, haven't seen any break yet.

I'd liked to have seen it released outside the BG line to see how it was received.

I think this would have made a big difference. I bought mine to lampoon it in the video, but I have to say, for the price point, to get everything you do, it's a pretty good deal. Don't abuse it, and it will probably serve you well for a long time. And the handle is very comfortable. The "PRO" version looks even better.

Back