"Bear Lady" in Oregon

In today's regional news:

A woman in Oregon who regularly fed bears in her backyard lost a court case and was ordered "to leave her home for three years and stay at least seven miles away from it...it would allow the bears to return to their normal eating habits and regain their natural fear of humans."

9951082-large.jpg

"...Noyes was repeatedly warned by the Oregon Fish & Wildlife to stop, according to testimony in the trial. Neighbors testified of being terrified of the bears. One woman told of finding a black bear coming into her house through the dog door, and another of losing a flock of 60 turkeys after a bear ripped open the barn. That was the summer in 2008 when four bears were shot and killed in a four-week period after being deemed threats to people."

--quotes and photo from
"Bear lady of Yachats loses final appeal, says she's done with Oregon -- and bears"
Published: Tuesday, August 30, 2011
By Lori Tobias, The Oregonian
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2011/08/bear_lady_of_yachats_loses_final_appeal_says_shes_done_with_oregon_--_and_bears.html#incart_mrt

Endangering the people and the bears...man - I thought I had a problem when the neighbor's dogs were pooping in my yard! Good riddance to a real nuisance.

The state of Oregon not only saved these bears, but probably this womans life. She should thank them.
People just have no clue when they feed wildlife. It's called wildlife for a reason.
When you feed game animals, they lose their fear of humans and become nuisances and have to be killed or they become an easy shot for hunters.
I for one hope she's learned her lesson.

Black bears are opportunists and you are correct Karda-her life was in danger. Foolish people.

A good example of what can happen when people use animals to act out their Disneyland fantasies, I'm glad they put a stop to it before any people or any more bears were killed. I love bears, and you are so right Karda, the cruelest thing you can do to a bear is to feed it.

She does look kind of old, she may not have had any other family visit for years...It's sad but it could get much worse, as the state clearly knows.

Back