"Bear"? mark on K of C blade.

Anyone know the significance of this mark on the blade of my Eagle Grip Cap Knights of Columbus sword?

! I can't figure how to add a photo to this message but I'll send it anyway - someone may know what I'm referring to. It kinda looks like a bear.

Thanks, t.

This bear?

122j.jpg

Determined to be one of the Weyersburg family members of shops in Solingen, late 19th century, early 20th. The sword may have been assembled in the states.

www.tinypic.com is an easy way to upload images and share them here by copying the resulting urls that have the img tags. Upload, copy and paste. That simple.

There may be a retailer's name at the base of the blade or other we can muse about? Without a picture or two, It is senseless to look in a book for comparison. The internet will yield a lot about KOC swords, even without the books.

Cheers

GC

This bear?

122j.jpg

Determined to be one of the Weyersburg family members of shops in Solingen, late 19th century, early 20th. The sword may have been assembled in the states.

www.tinypic.com is an easy way to upload images and share them here by copying the resulting urls that have the img tags. Upload, copy and paste. That simple.

There may be a retailer's name at the base of the blade or other we can muse about? Without a picture or two, It is senseless to look in a book for comparison. The internet will yield a lot about KOC swords, even without the books.

Cheers

GC

Thank's for the reply GC. The mark is exactly as depicted in your photo. I'll try tinypic and also look more closely up u nder the shield for other marks on the blade. Let you know what I find. First let's see if I can get a photo on the page!
Cheers,
Tom

Last edited:
Weird, I can see your link in a quote box but the image doesn't display with the tags. I am going to try it again.

2q9vq6g.jpg

It's displaying here now. Don't know why. Could have been the size of the file, I just resized it much smaller.
I don't find any other marks on the blade.
t.

Last edited:
My late musician sword is pretty much the same mark. Also stamped Made In Germany, so we know it to be no earlier than the 1880s.

1021sw5.jpg

1021sw1.jpg

1021sw3.jpg

Some of the M.C. Lilley&Co. Columbus Ohio swords turn up with the bear mark and by that name would also fit late 19th early 20th century. They bought out the Ames rights in the 1920s. Here is one page of info for them but I would not take it as absolute of definitive. I'll open up the Kaplan&Marino "bible" and see if there is something else on the surface.

http://www.socalfourthdegree.org/sword.htm

Cheers

GC

Last edited:
Back