Beards

Well this is a manly thread, if there ever was one!

I have had a Van Dyke for pretty much last 12-13 years. It is a part of me, and I'd rather shave the hair of my head that the beard.

I served on a submarine when I was in the Navy, way back around 1980. When we were out on patrol, I'd let my beard grow out and didn't bother cutting my hair for a couple of months. Toward the end of the patrol, I'd cut my hair and beard back to within regulation (beards were permitted back then). One patrol the X.O. (second in command of the ship if you're not familiar with military jargon) saw me six hours after I'd done so and said "You know Rich, in about two more days, you're going to be on my haircut list." I proceded to go shave my head completely (I've been bald on top since I was 19, so it really wasn't a big deal to me) and cut the beard back to a Van Dyke. I don't think the X.O. ever spoke another word to me.

Lol. You guys look like taliban. My Asian ethnicity effectively prevents me from growing anything remotely resembling a beard.

I'm Japanese, but I can grow a full, thick beard. It comes from my dad's side of the family. My older brother has had a full beard for over 40 years now. I've just been growing mine out again over the past month or so, and it grows fast. It's pretty obvious there is heavy Ainu admixture or Jomon influence, something most Japanese would probably never admit to.

The last time I grew it out (1990s), it was full black; now the beard is mostly gray/white except down the middle. It looks unusual, because the mustache is salt & pepper, and my hair is mostly black. Without the beard, I look 15 years younger.

Jim

Last edited:
Been wearing mine pretty much full time since I was 14. And when I shave it I still look like I'm 14. Happy to hide my chubby cheeks, thank you.

Last year I let my beard grow out for about 5-6 months. This was the longest I've ever let it get.
dscf0436.jpg

Trimmed it down a bit after that.
dscf0459.jpg

Then I had just a 'stache for a while until I decided to let it start growing back out again. I generally find myself in some state of beardedness since it grows so quickly. I also tend to get bored of one specific style and decide to switch it up a bit.

And this picture is over 3 years old. :)

ME-1_zps391adb28.jpg

Last year I let my beard grow out for about 5-6 months. This was the longest I've ever let it get.
View attachment 326670

Trimmed it down a bit after that.
View attachment 326669

Then I had just a 'stache for a while until I decided to let it start growing back out again. I generally find myself in some state of beardedness since it grows so quickly. I also tend to get bored of one specific style and decide to switch it up a bit.

I'm like that too, went all friendly mutton chop for a bit, now I've decided no shaving for 2013 and I'm going gandalf all the way !

I have had a beard for about 4-5 years now. It was a goatee when I got out of the Army but in my line of work you are the odd man out if you aren't sportin' a beard.
404011_136161199862756_122725515_n.jpg

Though I did trim it after the girlfriend recoiled in horror.
32393_163965227082353_703762003_n.jpg

293787_164376540374555_1400257258_n.jpg

Then she thought I needed a makeover........ she likes Twilight. God! I look like a douche!
attachment.php

But I have a feeling if this sweetheart wanted to play with your hair, most of ya'll would let her.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I have shaved a few times over the years for when I had to go for training and such, promptly grew it back. When I am clean shaven I look like I'm 12.

I used to shave over Christmas break when I would go to visit my Grandmother because she hated beards. She died in 92 and I don't recall having shaved since then.

I had to grow a beard while I was active duty and deployed overseas to blend in with the locals much like longtrang, I could not wait to shave that thing off, now i just keep the 3 day beard look going all the time as I don't like shaving so i just hit it with a trimmer every few days.

For some damn reason, the hair/beard in the side burns area will not grow much on my face. I've never really had sideburns for this reason and when I grow a beard, I can't grow in the sideburn area to make it look good. I tend to stick to a few days worth of stubble or a van dyke/goatee type look.

When I am clean shaven I look like I'm 12.

I look like Im friggin 16 regardless clean shaved or not, I cant even buy a pack of cigarettes without getting carded and you should see the looks when i go to the beer cooler it's priceless the clerks looks are always like put it back kid.... lol

going gandalf all the way!

LOL! You made my day. I want this in a t-shirt :p

After I last posted on this thread I have since decided to go on a similar path. Because of my job, I'll still have to be somewhat 'presentable' so I can't let it go wild. Full beard, but in shape. That's my new motto.

I look like Im friggin 16 regardless clean shaved or not, I cant even buy a pack of cigarettes without getting carded and you should see the looks when i go to the beer cooler it's priceless the clerks looks are always like put it back kid.... lol

IMO, looking young for your age is a good thing. I'm 49 going on 50 now, and when I'm clean-shaven, people guess my age at around 32. Into my mid-30s I was being carded...many people thought I was a minor, even some people in their early 20s. It's certainly better than being a 30-something and looking 50 (I've seen examples of that).

Jim

LOL! You made my day. I want this in a t-shirt :p

After I last posted on this thread I have since decided to go on a similar path. Because of my job, I'll still have to be somewhat 'presentable' so I can't let it go wild. Full beard, but in shape. That's my new motto.

Nice!!!

photojan19225013.jpg

photojan25005243.jpg

Love seeing bearded brothers! Check out this Facebook page "red bearded brotherhood"

F4EC580B-AF19-4856-B4C2-34C8350F4EF8-535-0000002D92535D5E.jpg

9CF3D6B3-2B91-4114-8AAF-8B21129BFC99-535-0000002D65F3C834.jpg

E407150E-BFAA-4BAD-A7CE-485DCF4EEEE3-535-0000002D5AA5A536.jpg

Had one since 18 except for a year or two back in my 40s. Mid life crisis. ;)

So much truth in this thread!

Sometime last year.
71c53738-fcba-4b93-89b5-7cb7d7910a2a_zps1f41b821.jpg

Damn I miss my beard! The old lady always guilts me into shaving for our anniversary. I tell her every year I'm growing my buck beard a little earlier than last year, atleast this way I get to have a beard for half the year! Only good thing about shaving the beard is growing out the bicycle mustache :thumbup:

Back