Becker BK5 Kniven

Crag the Brewer

I make Nice, boring knives
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'm not sure if This mod has been done, I haven't seen it yet, but I basically took my favorite Becker, and made it even Better!

The Five was my first Becker, I wanted a second almost as soon as I got my first....it's That Good!

I love Ethan's scales, but I've noticed after chopping for long periods of time that the grip is a bit small for me. I've seen people sand, and open up the grips a bit, but I went a different route....

The Five isn't much of a Choppy thing, so I wasn't worried about sacrificing that aspect of that, but surprisingly, with this much different hand positioning it Still feels pretty good, as I Whack it into stumps...

What I really was going after was more packability....and easier to conceal.
I have a sheath, but I believe I will probably make a more streamlined version, that I'm known for someday soon.

I'm still in the concept stage, I'll sand and contour the handle More, and definitely make it a bit prettier, but I really wanted to share my idea. Let me know what you think? I personally Highly recommend doing it, if you have a few spares. It Totally changes the knife, and I'll be using it a Ton More!

Your the first with that mod that I’ve seen :). If it feels better to you now, good deal :thumbsup: nice JOB :thumbsup: The only mod I’ve thought about on my 5 is rounding the pommel, maybe some year :D

That handle looks so tiny.

If i had another i would think of rounding out the pinky stop on the pommel since its not needed as it is on a chopper. It would allow for more versatile grips i would think.

Pretty cool, have never seen such a mod on a Becker handle before. For my big mitts, it makes it look very short.

Having a "simple* handle might feel similar to you as the 62 might feel... I have large hands, XL in gloves and the extra part of my hand just slides around where it needs to be instead of being bound up, by the butt/end

I'll be very interested in hearing how much it gets used and what you think of it after 6 months.

I'll definitely report, and I'm sure it will be in more pics...ha

Weird. Why did you decide not to just straighten out the butt?
Looks short. But if it works, it works!

I wanted to eliminate more unneeded bulk for easier carry, and I could still use the butt of this in a pinch to pound

Not sure it would fit my hand too well and my 5s are my favorite Beckers they feel like they were made for me personally ... I doubt I would change mine at all short of maybe putting nice wooden scales on one ... but if it works for you it looks well done. It kind of gives a first impression of a Japanese blade ... a Wakizashi sword I think they are called ? ... with a slightly shortened handle the way it appears now.

Lets us know how it works out after you've tried it awhile

Last edited:
Not sure it would fit my hand too well and my 5s are my favorite Beckers they feel like they were made for me personally ... I doubt I would change mine at all short of maybe putting nice wooden scales on one ... but if it works for you it looks well done. It kind of gives a first impression of a Japanese blade ... a Wakizashi sword I think they are called ? ... with a slightly shortened handle the way it appears now.

Lets us know how it works out after you've tried it awhile

I thought Asian too at first, but now I'm thinking less "tactical"

It really is still Full Handled, as I basically just cut off the Pommel, if you will....AND with the included choil the butt of the knife really sticks out a lot then.... Basiclly what I'm saying is it's Not a short handle, it just looks that way because we aren't use to seeing it that way.....

It's almost like a fat handled tweener...haha

A knife with the Fisk Blade, like this (in my opinion) doesn't need all that weight & bulk in the handle? Now, its more blade heavy, and almost feels more choppy than before, and way slicey....I think it's pretty amazing.

Glad youre liking it! Always good when a mod is paying off. That large blade just gives the illusion of a short handle i think. Id imagine it does make it more nimble in the hand. In stock configuration, sometimes i wish the handle scales included the choil.

I like the look!
First thought it looked short like most mentioned, but I was eyeballing it on my 7 and with my small hands it might just work for me too.
Leaving mine as it is though :p.

Thanks for sharing a mod with balls and enjoy your unique 5.

It's been over a week....

*I've made Tons of salsa, felt zero inconvenience with this blade..... It's Not a bushcraft knife in the kitchen...

It's a Kick Ass kitchen knife, that will chop branches, or Stab a big pig!!!

*Went for a 6 mile hike, All hills and woods... With it tucked in my waistband.... Very comfortable, and No match for ferral dogs.

*I think I'm now looking for a Third BK5?
I'd like a black, virgin one.... I might soon chop my used one with Tommy the Who scales..... Fancy, for inside...idk?

Holding the two side by side is Very Informative.

Oh nice!

Two knives I have to keep out of my "evil" step mother's (hey its traditional to call them evil! Right? And we must keep up traditions!) hands is my BK5 and my OKC Woodsman in 420 HC. As the Woodsman is already a plain blade, with my BK5 I know my "evil" step mother would have my brother strip its coating off and put it in to kitchen detail work! I made the mistake of taking both to the big critter cutting season when they decided it was time to "Harvest" the big critters they got tired of taking care of. Afterward I saw them hanging clean in the kitchen. And a list for coating stripping on the counter... so I took my knives. I was asked "Did you leave those knives in the field?" I was asked. And I said Yes probably, making some one look in the field for a while. :D:cool: And when spotted in my care a few months later "Oh I found them in the garage!" and closed the trunk and drove off. BK5 is a great large critter large meat chunk carver!

Back