Becker BK9 or Ranger RD9?

I was about to order a Bk9 . I have been researching it and it seems to be a good knife. Then i saw the Ranger RD9 and now in a little torn. Its thicker ,has the micardia handles and that bad ass crinkle coat. The ranger did better than the becker on knifetest.com .The becker broke into 10 pieces. I know its hard to compare because i think they used the RD7,and although i dont plan on doing anything of that sort just like everyone else in here i want the best i can get for what i can afford.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks all.

If you don't go with a Becker check out the Ontario RTAK II?

Last edited:
What will you be using the knife for? My advice is to do a little research on the types of steel and their performance as well as the customer service of each company.

I have both knifes and I've used them, a LOT. You can't go wrong with either of these. The Becker is a fantastic value and mine have always held an edge very well- but there really isn't much comparison as far as toughness, (especially if your talking about a 5160 Ranger- great steel for a big blade). Actually I can't imagine breaking either one and I own a dozen or so Beckers. I just don't chop concrete, ever. If I needed to I'd buy a big crowbar.

I started out with The Becker Brute, the BK-9, RD9, worked my way up to a Battle Mistress, and ever since I've been working my way back DOWN the scale. It's been a while since I've carried anything bigger than a 5 inch blade.

I haven't had any experience with Ontario since they started making the RD9, but Becker's customer service has usually been pretty good. You tend to get what you pay for, and there is a noticible difference in quality that fits the price point on both the knives you mentioned.

Another company I'd put in there next to Ranger is Rat Cutlery. Great, hard working knives and the service is second to none, outstanding value overall- I'm just not sure if Rat makes anything with a 9 inch blade?

I've always thought of Ranger as occupying the middle ground between Becker and Busse, both in terms of toughness and fit and finish.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies.
I plan to use the knife for outdoor tasks I.e. Chopping firewood. Making feather sticks ect.
I guess my dilema is that I will probably only be able to afford one knife for now and so I want to get the best I can around the $100 pricepoint. I dont like the rtak 2 , or the cold steel trailmaster or any other compareables.I can't afford a busse and don't have the patience to wait around for scrapyard. I really have narowed it down to the BK9 or the RD9.

So my question is really if you could have only one knife for all tasks between those 2 . What would you pick?

I'd go with the becker. The reason, for me, us that the handle is a lot more comfortable for both carving and chopping. The rangers are great blades, just a little boxy in the handles. I also like the lack of choil on the Becker. Both knives were designed to work, and I don't beleive you'll have trouble with either unless you use them for assinine things like chopping rocks and prying.

If you don't go with a Becker check out the Ontario RTAK II?
8628.jpg

They are a bunch of thieves. I might have some respect for them if they didn't try to steal R.A.T.'s property through a bogus legal battle.

Like Rick mentioned, you do also need to take a look at Rat Cutlery. Specifically the RC6. It won't chop nearly as well as the BK9, so ignore it if you need a strong chopper (if you carry a good hatchet of course it will outchop any long blade, except some khuks). Butthe rc6 is a quality blade with good enough length to use when batoning.

All that said, I'm really loving my bk9, it's the closest thing to a do-all blade I've ever owned. Any single blade will not be able to match the functionality of a good 4" blade plus a good hatchet though ( such as a mora and gransfors wildlife).

I don't own the current models, but the old ones from Camillus amd Justin himself. The RD9 was reprofiled and I really love that blade, the BK9 is a great blade, but loses against the RD9. But it is all about personal preference, which makes difficult to decide. With the current models taken into account and the companies behind them, I think I'd go for the BK9.

Thanks for all the great advice. I think I will give the Becker BK9 a try. I'll try to give an update with pics when I get one And put it to work.

Last edited:
Back