Becker Brute BK1

First, Greetings to all. I am a first-time poster/member but LONG time follower. I'm a novice user/collector with a good start start of blades. I am a blade USER first, collector second.

I've always wanted a Becker, and I will finally be picking up a used BK&T(Camillus) Brute BK1 tonight. I've mainly wanted a BK2 Campanion as a camp knife, but haven't pulled the trigger. I'm not sure if I'll keep the Brute, or sell it. The knife and sheath are in good used condition, with some scrapes from brush use. The edge is in great shape. I'm debating about stripping the epoxy coating, and either recoating or leaving uncoated. Not sure since this is a high carbon steel. It'll be my first knife project, but I'm confident I can complete the work, having refinished several firearms.

What are everyone's thoughts? I honestly have more use for a BK2, but wouldn't mind tackling this as a project and see how it goes. Does the knife, being "retired" have more value in its current condition? Has anyone done a similar refurb on a Becker? I don't want to dump a ton of more money into the knife, but don't mind some elbow-grease being put into it.

Thanks in advance.

Beckers are users. I don't think it is worth having a Brute if you don't use it.

Buy one of the new second generation Campanions, you will love it. It is a heavy little knife, but IMO you still need a big chopper.

If I don't sell/trade it, it'll be a user first and foremost. I guess I just need a project. So...recoat, or strip and leave uncoated?

HPIM0282.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg

IMG_2719.jpg

Last edited:
strip it. mirror polish it. put on wood handles. make a leather sheath. give shiny pretty things to Bladite day is coming up ;)

me? i'd use that thing up and then buy a BK-09 ;)

Bladite

OK. It's getting stripped. Picked up some chemical stripper and 320, 600, 1000 grit sandpaper, an old mousepad, a scrap of leather and green compound last night. Can you tell I'm into this thing? The plan is to take it down to metal, reprofile for convex edge, and possibly blue the blade. I've never stropped before, so I'm anxious to try it out. I'm not completely sold on the blueing yet, but I think it maintains the "tactical" feel to the knife keeping it dark (and gives it some protection) Eventually I might throw on some new handles, but I'm keeping the investment cost low at this point. The knife is hefty and SWEET.

THe BK1 is a excellent camp buddy..... if you Trade/Sale the BK1 you'll have no problems no matter the condition as long as the BK1 is in one piece.... Thanks for sharing

This is getting ridiculous... how come the top two threads in the forum are about how awesome a blade is that I will never get to own? Bunch of teases! ;)

This is getting ridiculous... how come the top two threads in the forum are about how awesome a blade is that I will never get to own? Bunch of teases! ;)

That makes two of us, Dr. Spooky. I can't afford one, no matter how much I would like one.

just to torture you.....:thumbup:

I almost gave you one as a wedding gift last year if that helps :D
well a serious discount at the time...never heard back from you :confused:

keep the blade shiny, get some flitz, and making comfortable wood handles is easy, use the existing for templates, have fun I love to rehandle and refinish older production blades, and I've done most of the BKT line, the original handle gets to slippery, wood or micarta you'll love G.

Seriously? If so then I totally effed up and dropped the ball on that one! Thanks for the offer though, for real. I was of less than sound mind, at the time. :D

Seriously? If so then I totally effed up and dropped the ball on that one! Thanks for the offer though, for real. I was of less than sound mind, at the time. :D

yeah no BS back when I had 5 at one time, you dropped the ball but your head was elsewhere.... :D :thumbup:

I've began the stripping. The epoxy came off pretty easily with 30min in the a gel stripper and a plastic putty knife. Work on the wire brush is taking out the imperfections. 320,600,1000 grit paper will refine the blade and edge, with stropping to finish it out. I've picked up stainless steel allen-head bolts and nuts for the slabs (eventually Micarta). Quite pleased with it so far!

IMG00019-20100518-2124.jpg

Back