Becker Brute Question

Hello everybody, first post here.
I’m a gun guy, not a knife guy…I know NOTHING about collecting knifes.
I just bought this Becker Knife and Tool Brute with leather sheath.
It has never been use in new condition, I did some Google research and found the older Beckers were made in Stainless Steel?, but this one is highly magnetic (the frig magnit is supporting the weight of the knife) and I don’t think it is SS. There are no coatings on the blade it looks like SS?? I know knife SS is magnetic but the frig magnet sticks to it like glue and the same magnet will not hold up other SS knives that I have that are much lighter

Any idea of the year?

Is the blade SS? What type of steel is it?
Should I keep it nice...or use the hell out of it like i intend ?

Thank you for all your help

Finbox

PS I also posted this on another forum, I just found this site it's great!

P6050520.jpg

P6050518.jpg

P6050519.jpg

P6050521.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everybody, first post here.
I’m a gun guy, not a knife guy…I know NOTHING about collecting knifes.
I just bought this Becker Knife and Tool Brute with leather sheath.
It has never been use in new condition, I did some Google research and found the older Beckers were made in Stainless Steel?, but this one is highly magnetic (the frig magnit is supporting the weight of the knife) and I don’t think it is SS. There are no coatings on the blade it looks like SS?? I know knife SS is magnetic but the frig magnet sticks to it like glue and the same magnet will not hold up other SS knives that I have that are much lighter

Any idea of the year?

Is the blade SS? What type of steel is it?
Should I keep it nice...or use the hell out of it like i intend ?

Thank you for all your help

Finbox

PS I also posted this on another forum, I just found this site it's great!

Hi, finbox, and welcome to the Becker forum, and to Blade Forums, too.

You have what appears to be a pristine Brute from way back when. There are others more knowledgeable than I about those old Brutes, and I'm sure that some of them will weigh in on the matter. Bladite is probably the most knowledgeable, but he may not be back until Monday.

What I can tell you is that the Brute is no longer being produced, and apparently will not be produced again. As I said, others will know more about your knife than I, but if I were you, I'd hold on to it: it's a collectors item. Buy another knife — like a BK-9 — to use, and save yours.

Normally. I dislike safe queens (knives are meant to be used), but in this case, since yours is in perfect, unused shape, that's exactly what I would do with it: put it in your safe and hold on to it.

You can probably do a search on eBay to get some idea of its worth.

Oh, and by the way, no it's not stainless. If I remember correctly, those were a variety of 1095 carbon steel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost certain it's a Blackjack Becker.
They were made with toxic coatings. I know how to disarm it.
Send it to:....

Seriously, BEAUTIFUL early Blackjack Becker!
Value? dunno, but wish it were mine.

And BTW, we like gun guys here.

Yup -- Blackjack Becker from the early 90's during the first incarnation of both BK&T and Blackjack knives. (second incarnation of BK&T was Camillus, current production is from Ka-bar - but the Brute is not a currently made model)
Most of theirs were sold with a gray epoxy-like blade coating.
If I remember correctly, some were made out of 0170-6 carbon steel and others out of 440A/440C (and there were rumors of samples in 52100 as well)
While I hate to advise keeping a knife as a safe queen, this is a good one for that purpose.
Used Camillus models with plastic sheathes sell in the $150-200 range. NIB examples go for up to $350 on ePrey.
I haven't seen an Effingham BK1 (Brute) in a long time, no idea what you could sell if for.

Keep it nice and find a different user.
current production knives you might look at: Becker BK9, ESEE Junglas, Ontario RTAK-II, Ontario Ranger RD9, Kershaw Outcast.
Or check the custom knives for sale here on the forum, there are some decent deals to be had from new makers and some established custom builders who make great stuff at a reasonable price. (or post in the makers forum and see if anyone is interested in working with you to make something to your spec)

Last edited:
Normally. I dislike safe queens (knives are meant to be used), but in this case, since yours is in perfect, unused shape, that's exactly what I would do with it: put it in your safe and hold on to it.

Keep it or you will hate yourself later!!!!!

Keep it nice and find a different user.

I must echo all three. I am a collector and a user. I just purchased an OOP Schrade and it is my new EDC. Knives are meant to be used...
but...
This one is a rare, mint, beauty. You said you are a gun guy, not a knife guy. So was I. I remember walking through gun shows thinking "What do these guys see in these?" Then I bought a vintage PUMA, then Schrade, then Blackjack, then Becker. The high quality knives are truly a thing of beauty, like a Remington UMC 1911, or a minty US&S 1911A1, or a new in the grease SA M1 Garand. Once you're hooked, you're hooked.

Like I said though, I must echo all three. I have heard that in terms of a user, the Camillus was a bit better than the Blackjack, but I would not use this one. Put this one away. Or, if you have NO interest in knives at all, make a good buck and go buy one of the aforementioned firearms. But you have truly stumbled upon a nice one.

Congrats,
Greg

Not trying to start anything, but I'm curious. In another thread on the other guy, the former head of Black jack and now BRK, said he designed the brute and made the one posted here. I thought all these were designed by Ethan. Is what MS said true?

Ethan confirmed it was true.

That is a beaut and worth a pretty penny. I sold mine for 120 used. It may have been to badlite even? Now they go for more. As for a user I sold mine because the edge was too obtuse for my taste. Nice score

Ethan confirmed it was true.

That is a beaut and worth a pretty penny. I sold mine for 120 used. It may have been to badlite even? Now they go for more. As for a user I sold mine because the edge was too obtuse for my taste. Nice score

definitely a beauty! take more pictures! whore-it-up... then send it to me ;)

@scrappy: i have no idea where i got my old Blackjack Brute, it's been a REALLY long time... like 15 years... could have been have KnifeShoppe or some such like that. i think you sold some to that OTHER chap though (esp a Machax) :)

Bladite

Not trying to start anything, but I'm curious. In another thread on the other guy, the former head of Black jack and now BRK, said he designed the brute and made the one posted here. I thought all these were designed by Ethan. Is what MS said true?

Ethan definitely has been known to collaborate... In a couple cases, there are some knives in his lineup that managed to get in there, like the Reinhardt, which were a little odd, but the name too. There's even a *bayonet*...

Long story short, yeah, Mr BRK had a large hand in that, but them was Blackjack days, and KaBar is now...

Bladite

and just for clarity of pictures... these were rushed. someday... much nicer ones :)

445685166_Erivw-L.jpg

Bladite

That old Brute is probably defective and dangerous to use. Send it to me for proper disposal. :D

that is a Great looking Blackjack Becker Brute...
value $100-$250 depends on who wants it.....what they are willing to pay.
I keep it and use it....

Back