Becker Necker, or EsKabar?

Howdy folk. I'm certain this has been debated before, but I was hoping to get some opinions on these two very similar knives. As I understand it, they both have the same blade, with the 11 being a little shorter in the handle. Izula and BK11 micarta scales also seem to be comparable in price.

Looking to mount it on the Chiappa rifle as a back-up/survival knife. Belly looks like it would make a good skinner, though it seems a bit thick to me.

All things being equal, which do you prefer, and why? Kiiind of leaning towards the 11, the handle just strikes my fancy.

Not giant hands, about 3 1/2" across the palm at the knuckles. 11 seems like it would fill the hand a bit better, but the 14 might be more nimble? Haha, maybe I'm just over thinking it.

I dislike the handle on the the 14, and the 11 just doesn't fit right in my hands...the difference being that the problem with the 11 is easily fixed. So my preference is the BK11, without hesitation.
Here's a pic of a modified 11 compared to a stock 11(csm)
PLj3KxI.jpg

Nothing to drastic...I softened the bump in the middle and widened the front finger space (and lengthened the slope of the spine to tip).
I've added micarta scales to that - will try to remember to post a pic when i get home in the morning.

Last edited:
This. Why not both?
WJ4vfsK.jpg
Haha, lordy. How do you find the Izula scales on the 14?

I reckon it'll end up being the 11, there's just something I like about the handle shape.

Is the bottom intended to be a bottle opener? It kind of reminds me of the wire cutter on the AK-47 bayonets.

yes, that's a cap lifter/wire breaker on the 11.
I prefer the 14/24 handle -- but it's easy enough to make extended scales for the 11.

Geof - what do you think of the extended izula scales?
I suspect those on my modded 14 would be the cat's meow.

Those look a little too clean, just sayin'...

Ever use one? :D
Only used my initial 11 and 14. Then they got a whole lot of company very quickly. Point taken, I’d be disappointed if you didn’t mention it. :)

yes, that's a cap lifter/wire breaker on the 11.
I prefer the 14/24 handle -- but it's easy enough to make extended scales for the 11.

Geof - what do you think of the extended izula scales?
I suspect those on my modded 14 would be the cat's meow.
The tkc extended scales are awesome! They make a big difference. But, be prepared to spend a good forty minutes gradually sanding and shaping them to fit. It wasn’t as quick and easy as I would hope. I have another set that I haven’t done yet. Also, wear a respirator! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I like the 11 it can be modded to be comfortable. After a little mod it's a 3 finger handle for me and feels fine :thumbsup: I like to carry em in my front pocket and the 11 will wear holes in no time :D The 14/24are a 3-1/2 finger and the hand comfort and pocket friendly contest winner imo . They both are thick tough good blades but the edges are thin enough and sharpen well to get her done :thumbsup:
IMG_4022.JPG View attachment 1078207

I have both and prefer the 11.
Made custom G10 for the 11 that feels great in my hand.
Sadly the 14 sits in a drawer.
That might change when I finally get to making custom scales for it someday though.

The blade shape and thickness of the 11/14 is my edc grail blade.
The handle of the 11 is 3 1/4 fingers for me and not that comfortable.
I use my 14 every single day, even though I wish the 14 would have a slightly longer handle. I tried the extended scales but unfortunately they narrow to much towards the blade.

Back