Becker Tactool vs. Blackhawk Small Pry

I was wondering if any of you have any practical experience with either the Tactool or the Small Pry, especially in tactical situations. I am interesting in buying on or the other to carry on SWAT missions, but I'm not sure which.

I have never owned a Becker, but what I have read in the forums it appears they have some quality control issues from time-to-time. The Tactool is definitely cheaper, but if the quality is suspect I would prefer to spend the extra money.

Not that I am a huge fan of Blackhawk knives. I own a MOD folder and it is the crappiest (high dollar) knife that I own. The push button locking mechanism stopped working consistently a short time after I bought it.

1095 carbon vs. D2 steel. Appears to be similar design.

i've only ever heard of one tactool breaking, and it was rather interesting story involving a cell door...

what quality control issues? nothing is bullet proof, but imho, Becker's failure rates are like, super rare. there were some quality control issues in the KaBar transition, but those were cosmetic iirc, and quickly ironed out.

i think you answered your own question with regard to blackhawk ;) who does their OEM anyway?

D2 is nice, but spendy. a good heat treat on 1095 is as bullet proof as you could reasonably expect.

Bladite

Blackhawk make crappy knives, IMPO, and they charge ten times more than they should. The Beckers are great and affordable. If you need a great prying tool, while a heavy duty knife, try BK-2. It's a monster.

D-2 is not the best steel for that type of use. 1095 is tougher, though less wear resistant. In the type of use you are talking about D-2 would be a last choice not a preferred choice.

I will most likely buy a Tactool. The handle on the Small Pry is pretty chincy and I am still pissed about the money I spent on my MOD POS.

A funny story about knives and pry tools...about 10 years ago I was on a SWAT mission and one of my team members asks me if he can use my knife. I, without question, hand him my Benchmade Emerson CQ. A minute later I look over my shoulder to see him using my knife like a crowbar trying to pry open and interior house door. Needless to say he had no respect for fine cutlery. I sent the knive back to get all the chinks out of the edge and learned my lesson. Since then I have carried a "throw-away" knife that I can use for light prying if necessary, but honestly, standard blade designs are not the best for prying. I'll try the Tactool.

Back