Beckerhead Job title and description

I facilitate the the receiving & distribution of transportation components by guiding & directing low to mid-level managerial personnel.

Last edited:
applied for a "new" job today -- would be doing similar, just for a federal agency instead of state and getting paid an extra $12k to commute an extra 60 miles each way -- but would be able to work remote 4 days a week instead of 2, so no particular change in fuel usage. after a year, if I pass probation, another $12k raise.

upside - more $$.
downside - it would add several years before I could retire and I'd lose my 1400 hour bank of sick leave.

if I wait 3 years, I can retire from the state and cash out 1/3 of my sick leave - but those 3 years = a $50k difference in pay, so it's probably not worth it.

maybe I'll get lucky and they'll lose my application again like they did 4 years ago when I applied for the last round.
So what’s the word?

former welding engineering technologist / robot driver in the automotive industry.
current millwright apprentice (year 1) / maintenance mechanic in the egg processing industry.
lots of grody stuff, lots of learning. you'd think you'd get used to the smell, but there's always a new and worse smell to discover. but, unless the whole country goes vegan, there's steady work.

Work for the County releasing and reviewing Grants for non-profits. My dream/goal is to do something with the outdoors however...ironic considering I couldnt be doing anything more opposite...a few park ranger jobs open but the pay these days for those is so low I dont know how anyone could support there family on it...:confused:

I am a corporate pilot. I take the “1%ers” to their business meetings and vacation houses. I very much love what I do. At my current gig the down side is I don’t have any form of work schedule. I’m on call 24/7 365 days a year.

Professional Instructor is my title.

My duties are teaching and evaluating initial upgrade and recurrent B757 and B767 procedures, maneuvers, HUD, and UPRT/EET in simulators.

Does anyone have any advice for those wanting to switch careers in their mid 30s?

Seems the only way is to take a massive paycut that wouldnt allow one to continue supporting their family. How have some of you done it?

Ps: mods if this is too off topic I will remove.

take a look at USAJobs -- it's the federal help wanted marketplace.
you can search by geographic location, agency, or job type.

I know a couple of younger guys your age that work for power companies paid training and really good pay in a few years. In my area the Pacific Northwest the slow time is the summer. Dr Rez Dr Rez

Farmer. I got the beef.

52452109244_f3b397a5c2_c.jpg

might as well have a December post...very interesting so far.

I spent about 3 decades slinging low voltage wire for security and home automation, video and access control. From folk's houses to apartment buildings, small businesses and industrial facilities. I haven't worked at that job - or any other - since February 8th of this year. Took leave to have something done to a 1" tear in my Achilles tendon - "Achilles tendinosis" is the description used by the short term disability company who decided I was fine and stopped paying me - and my life turned into its present day train wreck. The task now is to find some job that doesn't involve more physical wreckage whilst also giving my ADHD brain something interesting to do for a few more years until I can retire and become a professional Hobbyist, instead of remaining an amateur. I like to re-purpose things: my old washer (drum) is a fire pit, a double bowl sink and PVC cut-offs now a bird bath, a $5 Goodwill golf bag my backyard archery caddy...
....TBH, I have no idea what's next. I have 20th century skills - so, excellent if the power goes out for good - but don't have the neurology (nor the skills) to stay plugged in all day to anything like a computer or phone. I'd be a Tinkerer or Putterer but those both require advanced degrees in retirement or financial independence. gah. There's gotta be a cog out there missing a tooth....I only have to fit into back into the machinery for a couple more years before my advanced age gets me out of the money making machinery entirely.

Does anyone have any advice for those wanting to switch careers in their mid 30s?

Seems the only way is to take a massive paycut that wouldnt allow one to continue supporting their family. How have some of you done it?

Ps: mods if this is too off topic I will remove.
Send your spouse to school to double then eventually quadruple her income. LOL! At least thats what we did, then I went back to teaching!

Back