Beckerheads outdoor tips and tricks

An easy way to make kindling....have your 4yr old do it.

IMAG0226.jpg

IMAG0228.jpg

Bringing it back cause I think it should be a sticky.

I have found that a 4" adjustable wench in the pocket is as useful if not more than a multitool. If you need screwdrivers throw a couple of 1/4" driver tips in your pocket and use the wrench to turn em. If I could figure out a way to do it I would love to modify the hole in the wrench handle to accept the bits. I also have tied a piece of paracord to the handle and added a 1/4 20 hex nut as a bead. They are really common and I have come across a bolt or two that could have used a nut. The cord also helps with getting a little leverage if you pull in the direction you are needing. Best part is it will handle everything up to 9/16". Works well as a metal whacker, bender, and something to grab hot stuff.

IMAG0194.jpg

Sorry for the bad cell pic. Didn't realize it was that bad until I posted it.

if you make that thing longer, you got a rope-dart :)

A bandana also makes a handy wrap for a spare Brown's hamburger.

I keep hearing everyone talk about these Brown's hamburgers, I have never seen or heard of one so can anyone send me one please, I will pay the shipping......

I was just reading through some of the good ideas in this thread, and hate to see it drift down. I don't like to bring older threads back, but I'm going to bump it for some of the newer people to add their tips.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet or not, but: fire safety.

At the risk of sounding like Smokey Bear, make sure your fire is out.

If you have access to water, keep some near by to put it out in hurry if ness.

Don't leave it unattended. Amazing how fast the wind can kick up and ...

Roots - can start an unwanted fire. (Not likely, but poss.)

All stuff we've prob. heard since childhood - but "repetition builds results"

An easy way to make kindling....have your 4yr old do it.

IMAG0226.jpg

IMAG0228.jpg

Lol. I was showing my *almost* 4 year old how to make fuzz sticks. He got to use the Izula or BK11. The longer blade won his attention. Not many fuzz sticks made but sure was fun showing him some knife skills. Toys vs. Tools....that fine line....

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311004728.598014.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311004728.598014.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 28
Those large elastic pony tail holders make perfect little bungee cords, strap keepers, fire steel keepers, and a million other things. I used to steal Mrs. T's all the time, now I just man up and buy my own.

If you have to go looking for grubs, snakes, or critters, be sure to overturn the log or stone towards you. It provides a little shield between you and the potentially cranky venomous inhabitant under the rock.

This is great advice. I always carry a hay hook with me when I am out and about. It's a remnant of the field research days. I know that most people don't want to add anymore weight, but if your able to pack one in, it does come in handy especially when you are gathering firewood.
....edited to add; the initial reason for the hay hook was to grip rocks and logs to turn over while we were collecting specimens. Quite a few times copperheads would strike immediately after their shelter was lifted. It was an added precaution against getting a finger grazed.

Last edited:
Thanks Z. Yeah, I picked up that really helpful advice during the field work of a herpetology class. It also came in handy during summer camps taking kids exploring or fishing along streams. What were you collecting specimens for? And to contribute to the thread, lifting up stones along streams is a great way to find bait, or if you're in the mood, snails make a good protein source if you're hungry and got time to gather them.

When using feral stones for sharpening, use spit, and water to make a slurry, it works better than actually using the stone.

04-2011-25.JPG

Cardboard makes a great strop.

Rapid temperature drops mean a storm is upon you, seek shelter.

Moose

canned oysters (i prefer smoked) for an easy, small, packable (and won't get crushed) high calorie food item while backpacking. all about calorie loading esp in small rugged packages.

canned oysters (i prefer smoked) for an easy, small, packable (and won't get crushed) high calorie food item while backpacking. all about calorie loading esp in small rugged packages.

I usually take a few packages of ramen and a can of spam or tuna fish. It's awesome to supplement your wild edibles soup with some noodles, and ramen are the easiest to pack IMO.

I usually take a few packages of ramen and a can of spam or tuna fish. It's awesome to supplement your wild edibles soup with some noodles, and ramen are the easiest to pack IMO.

Ramen noodles, canteen cup and a little fire on a rock. yummy yummy.
This was tonight. I needed a midnight snack.

IMAG0236-1.jpg

When using purification tablets, never drink from your collection vessel.

Not really a survival tip. But when in the desert or florida drinking water can get quite hot. Take a sock or cloth and wrap it around your water bottle. Tie a piece of 550 to the bottle and sling it around your head. the air passing thru the wet cloth will cool the water.

We did this in Iraq with our water bottles and let them hang off the sides of the trucks as we drove.
Also for your emergency food make sure it is something you hate, as you will be less likely to eat it on a craving.

I pack a couple of tins of pop\pull back sardines, but I hear what you're saying bud. :thumbup: These food tins have improvised uses also.

I am not a knowledgeable survivalist, just an average Joe schmo, and that's ok with me. But I do take the basics quite seriously and believe in practicing basics now and then, particularly in bad weather. I hope that this helps someone: I tried to make a fire from natural local materials after it rained for about two days. I gathered leaves, tall dead grass, white thistle head fluff (basically soaked)and found about half of a medium sized wild wasp nest. Everything was damp to wet. After multiple tiny spark starts\quits I realized something. I was getting real heat inside my bundle. So I went ape shit and just really raked the hell out of my fire steel, over and over again as quickly as I could. After maybe 3-5 minutes of scraping the hell out of the F.S. I had created enough heat, long enough, to dry up the wasp nest to were it started to catch better, then popped right into a great flame. (The materials were over my hands in a dome shape) The surrounding materials must have dried a bit also. This fire steel has 2-3 quite noticeable wear flats on it now (from that one particular session alone), showing how many strokes it took. I learned two valuable lessons. 1. That I can dry wet fire making materials even on a grey damp day and 2. Not to give up after a few minutes. This took time and some effort.

Back